Dr Larrington's research interests are in Old Icelandic literature, medieval women's writing, European Arthurian literature, and, most recently, medieval emotion.
- Norse, Vikings, medieval Iceland, Norse mythology, Germanic legend, sagas, Eddic poetry
- Medieval English literature, including Chaucer, romances and medieval travel literature
- Arthurian literature across Europe
- British folklore, legends and myths
- Reception and retellings of medieval tales in modern literature and in TV and film adaptations, such as Game of Thrones
- Old English, including Beowulf and wisdom poetry
Dr Larrington has made frequent appearances on BBC Radio 3 and BBC Radio 4, including on BBC Radio 4's In Our Time and Woman's Hour. She also appeared in the BBC 4 TV series The Beauty of Books. In 2015 she presented a BBC Radio 4 series, The Lore of the Land, examining the enduring relevance of the creatures of British folklore.