Emergency contacts
Red telephone box in front of college wall
Copyright © Matt Stuart. This image comes from Oxford University Images. All rights reserved.

Emergency contacts

Contacts for emergency services and non-emergency health, welfare and academic support services.

In an emergency

Within the UniversityOutside the University
University Security Services: if you encounter any problems on University property, contact Security Services on 01865 289999 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year).For policeambulance and fire services call 999.
 Emergency medical treatment can be obtained at the Emergency Department (A&E) of the John Radcliffe Hospital, Headley Way, Headington OX3 9DU, 24 hours a day. 0300 304 7777.
 Emergency dental treatment: contact the East Oxford Emergency Dental Clinic on 0845 3458995. Open from 18:30-22:00 weekday evenings and all day at weekends. Alternatively contact NHS 111
 The Samaritans: free 24 hour support on any issue. Call 116 123, email jo@samaritans.org or visit Samaritans. If English is not your first language, the Samaritans also provide support for non-English speakers.

 Non-emergency services

Within the UniversityOutside the University

For student health and welfare matters: Speak to a member of your college welfare team. Details will be on your college web page or from the porter's lodge.

For policeambulance and fire services call 101.
Nurse/doctor appointment: If you are able to wait for an appointment, contact your college nurse or college doctor.NHS Advice: speak to an NHS operator 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Call 111 or visit NHS Choices.
Counselling Service: free and confidential service to help you address personal or emotional problems. Call 01865 270300, email Counselling Service or visit Counselling Service.Nightline: the independent listening, support and information service run for and by students. Talk to someone in confidence. Call 01865 270270 or visit Nightline.
Disability Advisory Service: information, advice and guidance and assistance with organising disability-related study support. Call 01865 280459, email Disability Services, or visit Disability Services.Optician: colleges do not normally have a special arrangement with opticians, so you should register with an optician of your choice

Sexual Harassment and Violence: Email the Support Service

Dentist: For routine or emergency dental treatment you should seek the advice of your college doctor or nurse. Studental, NHS dental care for Oxford, is located at Brookes campus on Headington Hill. 
Harassment Advisor Network: within colleges and departments across the University: call the Harassment Line 01865 270760 or email Harassment Line.The Oxford Physiotherapy Service: offers treatment for pain relief, healing, rehabilitation and the prevention of injury. 01865 311686, or email info@oxphys.co.uk

Occupational Health Service: offering various services appertaining to work and health issues including pre placement assessment, management referrals, travel clinic, vaccinations, health surveillance etc. Services are available for employees of the University and are generally based on a referral system. Enquiries can be made via enquiries@uohs.ox.ac.uk or 01865 282676. 

OxfordSU Student Advice Service: guidance on the many different support services available to you. Call 01865 288466, email advice@ousu.org or visit OxfordSU. 

National and local services

  • Alcoholics Anonymous: help and advice related to alcohol or a drinking problem. Call 0845 769 7555, email: help@alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk or visit Alcoholics Anonymous.
  • B-eat: online support and a UK-wide network of self-help groups to help people with an eating disorder. Call 0845 634 1414, email help@b-eat.co.uk or visit B-eat.
  • Cruse Oxfordshire: volunteers are available to help anyone in Oxfordshire, young or old, to deal with the pain of grief. Visit Cruse.
  • Domestic Abuse: Oxfordshire call 0800 731 0055.
  • Mental Health Foundation: provides information on mental health issues and undertakes research into mental health. Visit Mental Health Foundation.
  • MIND (The National Association for Mental Health): provides a wide range of information and support to people with mental health difficulties. Call the crisis line on 01865 251152, the national line on 0845 766 0163 or visit MIND.
  • Oxford Friend Lesbian and Gay helpline: free and completely confidential information, support and counselling services for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and transgender people. Call 01865 726893 or visit Oxford Friend.
  • Oxford Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre: women committed to supporting survivors of sexual abuse, rape, domestic abuse, and harassment. Free and confidential service to women and girls who are dealing with the effects of sexual violence. Call 01865 726295 or visit Oxford Rape Crisis.
  • Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Mental Health: NHS resource including a comprehensive list of all mental health services available in Oxfordshire. Visit OBMH.
  • Relate: provider of relationship counselling and sex therapy. Visit Relate.
  • Rethink: information about mental health issues to people with mental health difficulties, carers and health professionals. Call 0845 456 0455 or visit Rethink.
  • SANE: for practical information, crisis care and emotional support to anybody affected by mental health problems. The service is open from 6pm to 11pm every day, call 0845 767 8000, or visit SANE.
  • Sexual Health (GUM) Clinic: free information, counselling and testing for HIV & AIDS and all other sexually transmitted infections. Call 01865 231231 or visit Sexual Health.
  • Students Against Depression: resources and chat room developed specifically for students. Visit Students Against Depression.
  • Talk to Frank: the national drugs helpline for free and confidential information. Call 0800 776600 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year) or visit Talk to Frank.
  • Terrence Higgins Trust (THT): leading HIV and AIDS charity. Call 0845 1221 200 between 10am and 10pm on Monday to Friday, and from 12 noon to 6pm on Saturday and Sunday, email info@tht.org.uk or visit Terrence Higgins Trust.
  • Victim Support: 0845 3030900.
  • Woman's Aid: national helpline call 0808 2000247.
Was this page useful?*