Princeton exchange | University of Oxford
Princeton Exchange
Junior Common Room, Lady Margaret Hall
Copyright © PS:unlimited. This image comes from

Princeton exchange

Princeton is a world-renowned research university in New Jersey, USA and a member of the Ivy League. It was established in 1746 and is the fourth oldest college in the United States.


There are over 1,100 faculty members at the University – of which several are recipients of a Nobel Prize. The student body consists of approximately 5,000 undergraduate students and 2,500 graduate students. The ratio of students to teachers is 6 to 1, and lecture courses average just 30 to 40 students.

Undergraduate students studying Engineering Science can apply to study abroad at Princeton. The timing and length of the exchanges, as well as application deadlines, vary by department so please refer to your faculty / department websites for details.

Travel grants

A travel grant is available for those spending the full academic year at Princeton as part of the undergraduate exchange. This is to assist with the additional costs that will be incurred.

Students chosen by their departments to take part in this exchange will be contacted about the travel grant by the Study Abroad Administrator at the beginning of the summer preceding the exchange.

Tuition fees

As part of the exchange agreement, you will be required to continue to pay the University of Oxford tuition fees whilst you are in Princeton, but you will not be liable to pay tuition fees at Princeton. This is because your tuition fees at the University of Oxford will be used to cover the cost of the tuition fees for the incoming student, and vice versa.

If you are normally entitled to a tuition fee loan, or government and university maintenance support, you will still be entitled to this during your studies at Princeton.


All successful applicants for the Princeton exchange are offered accommodation either at one of the six residential colleges, or in University accommodation, which is also on campus. 98% of all undergraduates live on campus at Princeton. Like colleges at the University of Oxford, Princeton's residential colleges provide pastoral care, as well as dining halls, common rooms, academic spaces and arts and entertainment resources, although precepts and lectures normally take place centrally.

You will be responsible for paying rent for your accommodation and all your meals while at Princeton. Room costs at Princeton are roughly comparable to most colleges at the University of Oxford although you may find that living costs are higher due to the board rate that is charged.

Other costs

You must ensure that you have the appropriate visa before going on the exchange. This will cost around $200. Since obtaining a visa for a year of study in the USA has become substantially more time-consuming than it used to be, please be prepared to start the process immediately after your selection for participation in the programme is announced and to be diligent in getting it on time. Information is available on the US Embassy in London website.

You must also undertake to be fully covered for medical emergencies. Princeton offers health insurance of their own (the Student Health Plan) for approximately $1850 for the full year.

Information for Princeton students

Information is provided for undergraduates and graduates coming to the University of Oxford on the Princeton website.

Visa and immigration information is available on the University of Oxford website. You are responsible for applying for entry clearance. If you are coming to the University of Oxford for less than six months, you can enter the UK through the Student Visitor route, though you should ensure that you are aware of the restrictions of this route. If you are coming to the UK for more than six months, you must apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student visa. Your college at the University of Oxford will prepare a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number for you. Please contact the Student Immigration team if you are unsure.

Was this page useful?*