The Chinese Government offers full scholarships annually to UK citizens who are currently at the University of Oxford to study a variety of disciplines (primarily at graduate level) at a wide choice of Chinese universities. Each year Oxford can usually make eight to ten nominations.
The scheme is administered by the China Scholarship Council (CSC) in collaboration with the People’s Republic of China (PRC) Embassy in London.
|Duration:||Up to seven years of funding, including up to two years of Chinese language tuition (if needed)|
|Value:||The scholarship covers tuition, lodging, medical insurance, and a living stipend (see Related Documents for further information)|
|Number:||Oxford can usually make 8 - 10 nominations|
|Fee status:||Home/EU and Overseas|
|Level of study:||Undergraduate or graduate|
|Year of study:||Final year|
Complete eligibility criteria for the Chinese Government Scholarship is detailed in the attached 'How to Apply' PDF however please note that we are operating an earlier internal deadline to allow for the processing and assessment of applications ahead of the formal nomination procedure.
Full scholarship details are available on the China Scholarship Council website, which explains the remit of the scheme, eligibility criteria, a list of participating Chinese universities, scholarship benefits and medical arrangements. Please read these details carefully.
Once nominations have been made, the remainder of the process will be administered directly by the Chinese Embassy in London. Please direct all enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is recommended that you contact your proposed host university as early as possible to ensure you are aware of relevant deadlines and to avoid vacation closures.
Students should simultaneously submit the Oxford application form (for nomination), the Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS) online application form, and apply to their proposed host university as a visiting student. Applicants will need to obtain a pre-admission letter from the host university to submit with their CGS online application. Please see the China Scholarship Council website for guidance.
Please be aware that applications submitted without the Foreign Physical Examination form will be considered incomplete and therefore will not be assessed.
How to apply
Please note that a nomination is no guarantee that the scholarship will be awarded, since the final decision is made by the China Scholarship Council.
- The application cycle for travel in the 2019/20 academic year has now closed. The new application round will be opened in the 2019/20 academic year.
- Candidates will be informed who the University will nominate after the end of the application round.
- Students submitting an application should simultaneously complete the Oxford application form (to be considered for nomination), the CGS online application form, and apply separately to their proposed host university. Applicants will need to obtain a pre-admission letter from the host university to submit with their CGS online application. Please see the China Scholarship Council website and the attached 'How to Apply' document for guidance.
- If successful, students should receive award notices directly from the Chinese Embassy in early August.
- Students will then receive the official documentation from the Chinese Embassy to obtain a visa, etc later in August.