The Chinese Government offers full scholarships annually to all citizens (except for the People's Republic of China) who are currently at the University of Oxford to study a variety of disciplines at a wide choice of Chinese universities. Each year Oxford can usually make eight to ten nominations.
The scheme is administered by the China Scholarship Council (CSC) in collaboration with the People’s Republic of China (PRC) Embassy in London.
|Duration:||Up to seven years of funding, including up to two years of Chinese language tuition (if needed)|
|Value:||The scholarship covers tuition, lodging, medical insurance, and a living stipend (see Related Documents for further information)|
|Number:||Oxford can usually make 8 - 10 nominations|
|Nationality:||All (except for the People's Republic of China)|
|Fee status:||Home/EU and Overseas|
|Level of study:||Undergraduate, Graduate and Senior Scholars|
Full scholarship details are available on the China Scholarship Council website, which explains the remit of the scheme, eligibility criteria, a list of participating Chinese universities, scholarship benefits and medical arrangements. Please read these details carefully.
Once nominations have been made, the remainder of the process will be administered directly by the Chinese Embassy in London. Please direct all enquiries to email@example.com.
It is recommended that you contact your proposed host university as early as possible to ensure you are aware of relevant deadlines and to avoid vacation closures.
Students should simultaneously submit the Oxford application form (for nomination), the Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS) online application form, and apply to their proposed host university as a visiting student. Applicants are encouraged to obtain a pre-admission letter from the host university to submit with their CGS online application. Please see the China Scholarship Council website for guidance.
Please be aware that applications submitted without the Foreign Physical Examination form will be considered incomplete and therefore will not be assessed.
How to apply
Please note that a nomination is no guarantee that the scholarship will be awarded, since the final decision is made by the China Scholarship Council.
- The application cycle for travel in the 2021/22 academic year is now open. The nomination deadline for applications is the 19th February 2021 (however earlier applications are still encouraged).
- Candidates will be informed about the University nomination outcomes after the end of the application round.
- Students submitting an application should simultaneously complete the Oxford application form (to be considered for nomination), the CGS online application form, and are encouraged to apply separately to their preferred host university. If applicants would like to attend a particular university in China then they will need to obtain a pre-admission letter from the host university to submit with their CGS online application. Applicants without an admission letter will be placed at a university at the discretion of the CSC. Please note that we are operating an earlier internal deadline to allow for the processing and assessment of applications ahead of the formal CGS deadline.
- If successful, students should receive award notices directly from the Chinese Embassy in early August.
- Students will then receive the official documentation from the Chinese Embassy to obtain a visa, etc later in August.