The Charterhouse donation was made in 1991 in order to fund bursaries for students to undertake a period of study elsewhere in Europe.
Students can study in all European Union countries, as well as in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia.
|Duration:||Three months to one year|
|Value:||Up to £6,500 is available depending on duration and costs of planned study abroad|
|Number:||Usually two to three awards available|
|Fee status:||Home/EU and Overseas|
|Level of study:||Undergraduate or graduate|
|Year of study:||All years; final year students must indicate why their proposed study abroad will be directly relevant to their studies at this stage|
Students are required to contact a possible supervisor at the host institution/university before submitting their application. It is expected that students will continue to be registered for a degree at the University of Oxford during the period of their study abroad. Successful candidates will be required to obtain the approval of their college to study away from the University of Oxford, and, where applicable, must also obtain dispensation from residence from their faculty board.
The amount granted to successful candidates may be reduced if they obtain other grants. Charterhouse European Bursaries may be held in conjunction with Erasmus grants or grants from other educational bodies.
Successful candidates need to submit a report detailing the activities as well as a certificate of attendance (a letter from their host institution) at the end of their attachment to prove the length of stay.
How to apply
- Applications for the 2017/18 year are now closed.
- The next application cycle will open in October 2017 for travel in the 2018/19 academic year.
- The application deadline is expected to be 12.00 noon on Friday 2nd February 2018.
- The selection process is carried out shortly after the application deadline and results will be released in April 2018.
- If you have applied for more than one scheme, you will be notified of these separately.