Professor Buchanan is the former director of the Centre for Research into Parenting and Children. Before entering academic life in 1990, she spent ten years working as a child psychiatric social worker. She researches how to promote wellbeing in children, especially those at risk of social exclusion. Much of her research has a social policy impact. Recently, she has given keynote addresses in China (2010), Malaysia (2015) USA (2016), Athens (2017) and Korea (2018). In the past year she has led workshops on evidence-based interventions in Madrid, Malta and Latvia for the European Social Network. She currently under from Palgrave Macmillan to edit, together with Anna Rotkirch, a book on Brothers and sisters: sibling relationships over the lifecourse to be published in 2020.
- The emotional well-being of children
- Effects of divorce on children
- Fathers and fathering and grandparenting
- Sibling relationships
- Children at risk of social exclusion
- Child welfare services in post-Soviet economies
- Evidence-based social interventions with children and families
- Child protection
Professor Buchanan has considerable experience of working with the media.