Dr Schwanen’s research sits at the intersection of urban, transport, cultural and political and economic geography. He is particularly interested in transitions to low-carbon and low-energy living and societies and the geographies of ageing, mobility and well-being.
- Passenger transport
- Transport and climate change
- The experience of everyday transport and the links between transport and wellbeing and quality of life
- Transport and social inequality
- Ageing and daily transport
- Work/life balance
- Nighttime economy
- CCTV and surveillance in public space
Dr Schwanen has worked with the Dutch media.