Dr Hale is interested in problems that span national boundaries and the political institutions that seek to solve those problems. He seeks to explain how political institutions evolve - or not - to face the challenges raised by globalisation and interdependence, with a particular emphasis on environmental and economic issues.
- Climate change: international negotiations and "bottom up" actions by cities, companies, and others
- How the rule of law matters for global commerce
- Environmental issues in China
- China's engagement in the global economy
- Evolution of global governance
- Gridlock in multilateral institutions