Colleges and accommodation | University of Oxford
Student accommodation
Student accommodation

Colleges and accommodation

Colleges are at the heart of the Oxford experience. We are pleased to be able to confirm that all our colleges will be open from the start of the academic year, and that they will have accommodation available for students.

We are currently reviewing different aspects of college life, such as bars, dining halls and common rooms, as we aim to offer as full a social experience as possible for our students. Services will only be reopened in line with government guidance and health advice.

College and University accommodation

We aim to accommodate the majority of students and all first-year undergraduates in colleges. Due to the pandemic, some colleges will have less on-site accommodation than usual. Colleges will accommodate international students during University vacations – please see FAQs for more information.

In colleges and University graduate accommodation, we plan to group students into ‘households’ if you share high-contact facilities such as bathrooms or kitchens. This will reduce the number of students who need to self-isolate if one of you tests positive for Covid-19.

Graduate students who are not offered college accommodation may be able to find a room in University graduate accommodation, which will be available for the entire year. This year, all University tenancies will be signed online and specific arrangements will need to be made for key collections. For more information, please visit the Graduate Accommodation Office website.

Students looking for private accommodation should refer to the Oxford SU Living Out Guide.

Supporting students self-isolating

We will support you if you are required to self-isolate in college or University graduate accommodation; either if you are an international student needing to self-isolate when you arrive in the UK, or during term time for other reasons. We will provide support in either your college or University graduate accommodation. Welfare support will be available for students living in private accommodation.

Colleges and accommodation FAQs

A selection of FAQs for all students and offer holders about colleges and accommodation. For more detailed information, please see the FAQs section of this site.

Will all student accommodation be available to students, and when will I find out if I have a room?

We aim to accommodate the majority of students and all first-year undergraduates in colleges. Some colleges will have less accommodation available this year as a result of the pandemic. Your college will inform you of the process of allocating rooms, and will confirm more detailed arrangements in the near future.

For undergraduate offer holders only: all first year undergraduate students are entitled to college accommodation, and your college will be in touch about the arrangements once your place has been confirmed.

For graduate offer holders only: if your college is not able to provide accommodation, the University's Graduate Accommodation Office may be able to help, or you may need to seek accommodation in the private sector.

If I need to arrive in Oxford before term to self-isolate, will I be provided with accommodation?

Yes, you will be provided with accommodation.  You should contact your College for further information

Will I be able to stay in college accommodation during the vacations?

Graduate students

We expect there will be sufficient rooms for international graduate students living in college accommodation to stay through the Christmas and Easter vacations. If this is not possible, your college will arrange vacation accommodation in another college, or elsewhere in Oxford.

Undergraduate students 

If you are an international undergraduate with a college room for term time only (under the normal undergraduate residential licence/agreement), and cannot return home due to travel restrictions arising from Covid-19, we expect there will be sufficient rooms for you to be accommodated through the Christmas and Easter vacations (as per the arrangements for graduate students outlined above). This may be through the college’s usual undergraduate vacation residence arrangements or similar.

When will I know if different college services are open?

Colleges are now working through the details of how best to reopen services in a safe way for students and staff. All colleges will work together to ensure that services are opened in accordance with public health advice, and will share more information as soon as possible.

Will students be grouped into ‘bubbles’ within their departments or subject areas?

No this is not something that we are planning. Students will instead be grouped into households within colleges and University accommodation.

Was this page useful?*