Second undergraduate degree

Oxford welcomes applications from people who already have an undergraduate degree.

How to apply

Applicants for a second undergraduate degree must apply in the same way as other applicants. You must submit your UCAS application by 6pm (UK time) on 15 October. You must also register for any admissions test or tests required for your course. (For full details please see Applying to Oxford.)

You should ensure that your UCAS personal statement includes an account of activities at university as well as at school, and the UCAS reference should be written by someone who is familiar with your academic performance in your degree(s). Second undergraduate degree applicants should also send a transcript of their degree(s) to the college considering their application by 10 November.

Where written work is required, you should submit work from your more recent studies, rather than from your school work.

Graduate applicants are required to fulfil the same entrance requirements, and are considered in open competition with first-degree applicants. More recent academic achievements will carry more weight than qualifications achieved at school, although a strong academic profile will generally be expected throughout.

Two different Medicine courses are available as second undergraduate degrees. One is an accelerated course for science graduates; the other is the standard pre-clinical course, which graduates may study in five years rather than six. Read more about studying Medicine as a second undergraduate degree.

You should be aware that UK students who have already completed an undergraduate degree are not eligible for any further government support or loans.

Senior Status

Second undergraduate degree candidates may apply for ‘Senior Status’. This exempts you from the First Public Examination, so you can start directly in the second year of the degree. The criterion for achieving such status is a university degree obtained after courses extending over at least three years. We would usually expect a degree classification of 2:1 (or equivalent) or higher. The university should have a good academic reputation and selective entrance requirements. 

To apply for Senior Status: follow the standard application procedure. On your UCAS application, select Year 2 as your Point of Entry.

All colleges will consider applicants for Senior Status, except for Hertford, New College, St Hilda’s and Somerville, although colleges may not offer Senior Status for all their courses and it is best to contact the college to check.

Any course may be studied with Senior Status, except for Fine Art and Law with Law Studies in Europe.

You will be assessed first on your suitability for the course of study and second on your suitability for Senior Status (so you may be made an offer for the full course instead).


Law with Senior Status is offered only at the following colleges:

CollegeSix termsSeven terms
Harris Manchester 
Jesus College
Lady Margaret Hall
St Anne's
St Edmund Hall
University College 

You can choose one of these colleges, or you can make an open application. Once your application has been received, the Law Faculty will contact you to clarify whether you are applying for the six-term or seven-term course. (The six-term programme means that you study the second and third years of the standard three-year course. The seven-term programme begins with the final term of the first year.)

Successful Senior Status Law applicants will normally be predicted to achieve or have achieved a first class degree or equivalent, or, in the case of mature applicants, strong and convincing evidence of the applicant's achievements and future promise at an equivalent level. Please see the Law Faculty website for further information about this course.


PPE students may drop one of the three subjects (Philosophy, Politics or Economics) after their first year of study. Senior Status candidates need only study two of the subjects, or may choose to study all three.

PPE with Senior Status is offered only at the following colleges. You can choose one of these colleges, or you can make an open application.

  • Balliol
  • Corpus Christi
  • Harris Manchester
  • Merton
  • Oriel
  • Pembroke
  • Regent’s Park College
  • St Anne’s
  • St Catherine’s
  • St Edmund Hall
  • St Hugh’s
  • St Peter’s
  • Worcester