Defer a previous loan | University of Oxford
Climbing vines on Broad Street in winter
(Image Credit: Nataliya Rogach / Graduate Photography Competition)

Defer a previous loan

If you are taking US federal student loans at Oxford, we will report your enrolment so that repayment of any previous US student loans can be deferred.

If you are not taking US federal student loans whilst at Oxford, please email the US loans team to ask us to report your enrolment. You will need to provide your Social Security Number and date of birth so that we can add your details to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), which is used by most guaranty agencies and federal loan servicers, as well as the US Department of Education, to check student enrolment information. Enrolment information is sent to loan servicers with NSLDS access on a weekly basis.

If you are not taking US loans at Oxford in the current academic year but ask us to report your enrolment, your NSLDS record will be checked and updated every two months. If you lose your eligibility for in-school deferment (through withdrawal, suspension, completion or otherwise ceasing to be in study on at least a half-time basis) then we would mark you as withdrawn on NSLDS as of the next update. If you then return to study, we will not automatically be notified, so you must email us again to request that your NSLDS record be reinstated.

We will only complete paper deferment forms for private loans or federal loans students in exceptional circumstances.  To complete paper deferment forms for federal loans students, we require written confirmation from the lender that they are not registered to use NSLDS. If sending a paper deferment form to us, please ensure you first complete any sections to be filled out by the borrower.

Was this page useful?*