Frequently asked questions for scholarship holders | University of Oxford
MSc in Contemporary India students taking a break outside the Ashmolean Museum
(Image Credit: Angela de Francisco / Graduate Photography Competition)

Frequently asked questions for scholarship holders

The questions and answers below only apply to students who have been made an offer of a scholarship by Student Fees and Funding. The information should be read in conjunction with your funding offer letter.

Financial information

What expenses do the fees cover?

Course fees cover your teaching, and other academic services and facilities provided to support your studies.  They do not cover your accommodation or other living costs. You may have seen separate figures in the past for tuition fees and college fees. We have now combined these into a single figure. More information is available on the Course fees page.

Do I need to pay the course fees myself?

Your college will see on the University’s student database that you have a scholarship, but you may like to take your offer letter along to the registration session to remind them. The scholarship contributions to your course fees will normally be paid on your behalf by Student Fees and Funding, so you do not need to take any action yourself. Your scholarship covers course fees for the duration noted in the ‘value of scholarship’ section of your funding offer letter.

When will I receive my grant for living costs and how do I collect the money?

The scholarship contribution to your grant for living costs will normally be paid to you in three equal termly instalments in the week before each term starts (called “0th week”) for each year of your scholarship, subject to the terms of your funding offer letter.

In your first term, you will normally receive a cheque, which must be paid into a UK bank account. In your second and subsequent terms, payments will normally be made directly into your UK bank account. For advice about opening a UK bank account, please see our Opening a bank account guide.

If you will be living in college-owned accommodation, you may need to pay your college a deposit before you arrive, and you will need to arrange this directly with the college.

Will my scholarship continue after I have reached the end of my standard period of University fee liability?

Your scholarship is valid for the duration noted in the ‘value of scholarship’ section in your funding offer letter. This is usually the same length as the standard period of fee liability for your course. If you exceed this standard period of fee liability, the scholarship does not cover continuation charges payable to the University and college, or any additional living costs you may incur. Please see the Fee liability page for information about the level of charges and how they are applied, and an explanation of the standard period of fee liability.

Will my scholarship pay for fieldwork and travel costs?

Your scholarship will only cover the expenses detailed in the ‘value of scholarship’ section in your funding offer letter. If you are seeking additional funding for expenses such as travel and fieldwork, you should check with your department or college for possible funding.

Under what circumstances can Student Fees and Funding amend my funding offer?

We may amend your funding offer if you are subsequently awarded any further scholarships (for example, if a college or external donor offers you funding towards some or all of the costs covered by your scholarship). We guarantee that the total value of your funding package will not decrease as a result.

Your funding offer may also be amended to become linked to a college, in which case you would take up a place at the college to which the funding has become linked. This may be at a college you are not currently placed at or did not list as your preferred college.

How will I know if my funding offer is amended?

If your funding offer is amended we will notify you in writing, usually through a variation letter in the case of smaller changes. This letter will be a very brief explanation of any amendments to your original funding offer and will act in conjunction with your original funding offer letter. If the amendments to your offer are extensive then we may issue you with a replacement offer letter rather than a variation letter.

UK visa information

How can I show proof of funding if I need a UK visa?

Not all students are required to submit proof of funding in support of a Tier 4 visa application. Applicants from certain countries (known as ‘low risk’) are exempt and the Home Office provide an Appendix listing these countries. However, regardless of whether you need to submit the documents or not, you must have the necessary letter in the correct format. This is the original, signed and stamped funding letter sent to you by post confirming that you have been awarded the scholarship. If you have been issued with a variation letter amending your scholarship, both letters will be required.

Where can I find further information about UK visas?

Information about visas can be found on our Visa and immigration page. You may find it useful to read this in conjunction with the International students and Orientation programme pages. 

Progress and changes in circumstances

If my scholarship is valid for more than one year, how do I renew it?

In June you will normally be asked to complete an annual scholarship report in order to renew your scholarship for the next year. Please note that your scholarship will not normally be renewed unless we receive your annual scholarship report.

What if I am not making satisfactory academic progress?

You are expected to make satisfactory academic progress for the duration of your studies. If you are not, in the University’s opinion, making satisfactory academic progress, Student Fees and Funding will coordinate a review to decide whether your scholarship should be continued. The withdrawal of the scholarship is at the University’s discretion.

If my scholarship is for a master’s and I continue to DPhil, can my existing scholarship be extended?

Unless you have been awarded a scholarship specifically stating that it is for master’s and DPhil study, your scholarship cannot be extended. If you choose to re-apply to Oxford to study for a DPhil, then you may re-apply for a new scholarship.

Can I change courses/subjects and keep my scholarship?

Should you wish to transfer to a different course than the one for which the scholarship offer is made, please note that transfer between courses is an academic matter and you would need to meet the requirements of your department and college in order to transfer course. If you wish to ask to transfer your scholarship to your new course, you should send your request to transfer your scholarship to Student Fees and Funding for review. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

Can the award be deferred if I need to start my course later?

Deferral of entry for graduate study is only possible in exceptional circumstances. For more information, please visit the Accepting your offer page.

Before a deferral can be granted you must have received confirmed offers from the University and your college with no conditions outstanding. You may apply to defer your award to start in a later term or the next academic year only if you first have the approval of your department and college to defer your place. Your request to defer your scholarship should then be sent to Student Fees and Funding for review.

Can the award be suspended once I have started my course?

Once on course, if you wish to suspend your studies, this will require the approval of your department and college. Research degree students should refer to specific guidance on the Changes in student status page. You will also separately need to request to defer your scholarship. Your request should be sent to Student Fees and Funding for review.

Contact information

Who can I contact for more information?

If you have a question relating to your scholarship which is not answered here or in your funding offer letter, please contact your scholarship manager, whose details can be found in your offer letter.

You can also find answers to other frequently asked questions about admissions and funding, and submit your own question, through the Any questions page.

Was this page useful?*