The International Strategy Office assists Oxford’s academic and administrative departments in the design and implementation of international activity that meets aims set out in the University’s Strategic Plan.
What we do
The Office provides support for international activities including:
- drafting memoranda of understanding with international partners;
- providing briefings from a database of international links;
- organising the visits of high-level international delegations;
- publishing presentations and brochures that explain Oxford’s structure and its activity in different parts of the world;
- managing internal and external international networks.
As well as these specific activities, International Strategy Office staff provide bespoke advice and support on the development of international initiatives and University policy.
All of the International Strategy Office’s work fits into five broad areas of operation.
- Strategy and consultation – the design of initiatives and policy to secure Oxford’s international goals.
- Data collection and publication – collecting, creating, storing, analysing and publishing data on aspects of international activity.
- Monitoring and analysis – identifying, analysing and summarising international opportunities and risks for the University.
- Coordination – organising country and regional networks, and supporting the drafting of memoranda and other collaborative agreements.
- Liaison and diplomacy – arranging visits to Oxford, advising on foreign travel by senior staff, and managing Oxford’s participation in selected international university alliances.
Almost all of the International Strategy Office’s activities are carried out in collaboration with other University departments. The Office aims to combine its expertise in higher education internationalisation and its analytic ability with other departments' specialist expertise, developing international activity to suit Oxford’s needs.
Contact the International Strategy Office at email@example.com / +44 01865 280417, or contact a member of our team directly, below.
Ed Nash, Acting Director
Ed’s areas of responsibility include:
- Overall strategic planning and project development
- International strategy for East Asia (including China), Oceania and the Middle East
- Communications and publications – internal and external
Ed has worked for the Universities of Edinburgh and UCL in international communications roles, and previously as a journalist in the UK and China. He holds an MA from the University of St Andrews and an MSc in Comparative Public Policy from the University of Edinburgh.
Craig Morley, Senior Strategy Officer
Craig's areas of responsibility include:
- International strategy for South and Central Asia, Southeast Asia, Latin America and North America
- Global Trends in Higher Education
- Network development
Prior to joining Oxford, Craig was a diplomat at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, where he worked in a number of policy roles including on China, the Middle East and North Africa, the UN, and also in a Strategic Communication role. He had previously worked as an Aide and Adviser to a Member of Parliament. He holds a BA (Honours) in Geography from the University of Leeds, and a PGDip in Finance (Economic Policy) from the University of London.
Jill Rodd, Acting Strategy Officer
Jill’s areas of responsibility include:
- International strategy for Europe and Africa
Jill has previously worked as an Examinations Administrator at the Said Business School and as a Data and Research Officer in local government and the NHS. She holds a BSc from the University of Strathclyde and an MSc in Health Sciences (Health Promotion) from the University of Northumbria at Newcastle.
Amir Nettler, Research and Information Officer
Amir’s areas of responsibility include:
- Data collection
- Database and website management
- Benchmarking metrics
Amir has previously worked in IT roles in the University of Oxford. He holds a BSc in Computing from Oxford Brookes University.
Victoria Taylor, Office Administrator
Vicky’s areas of responsibility include:
- Organisation of delegation visits to Oxford, and other events
- Office management, including administration of Finance and HR
- Administrative support of the team
Vicky joins us from the commercial sector and has a wide range of experience in Financial Services, Accounting and Marketing. She is currently studying for her BA (Honours) Social Sciences degree.
Overseas institutions wishing to discuss research collaborations or exchanges in specific subject areas should contact the relevant department.
International students planning to apply to the University should contact the Admissions department.
International alumni seeking information, for example about their local alumni group, should refer to the alumni website.