St Luke’s Chapel was built in 1865 and is Grade II listed. Previously, the Infirmary chapel had been housed in the Radcliffe Infirmary building, above the Board Room.
Planning permission to refurbish St Luke’s Chapel was first granted in 2009 and included demolition of later additions in order to restore the setting of the Grade II listed building and convert it to an exhibition and performance space.
St Luke is the writer of the Gospel and the Acts of the Apostles and has been identified as ‘Luke, the beloved physician’ in St Paul’s Letter to the Colossians (4:14). Consequently, he is the patron saint of physicians and surgeons.