- Visitors & Friends
- About the University
The Sheldonian Theatre
The Sheldonian Theatre was erected in 1664-8 to a design by Sir Christopher Wren and was described by the European Commission in 1994 as "one of the architectural jewels of Oxford". Its purpose was to provide an appropriate secular venue for the principal meetings and public ceremonies of the University, and this remains its purpose today.
In addition to being a functional building of the University of Oxford, it is made available for hire to those who wish to promote recitals of music and other similar functions. It is also open, as circumstances allow, to those who wish to visit the building for its historical, architectural and contemporary interest.