- Visitors & Friends
- About the University
Guide to registration
- Why you need to register
- When to register
- How to register as a new student
- How to register as a continuing student
- Having problems?
- Frequently asked questions
- Screenshot gallery
Why you need to register
An essential part of being a student of the University is the annual completion of registration using Student Self Service.
|You must be registered in order to:|
When to register
IT Services will send you your IT password and log-in details by email (in August if you are a Michaelmas Term starter - please allow up to 7 days from the University’s receipt of your contract if this is returned between August-October). Please ensure the email address you supplied at application or subsequently is still active; if you have changed email address, please let your college, department or Student Information know immediately.
Your password and login is called your Single Sign-On which is the Oxford system for accessing a range of IT services. It will also be the way you activate your University email account. Once you activate this account no further emails will be sent to your personal account (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) so you must check your University account regularly.
New and continuing University of Oxford students will be sent an email asking them to complete their University registration using Student Self-Service each year of their study. For the majority of students, this will be in September (see below for dates of the registration period each term). Please follow the instructions in the email as soon as you can.
The student registration periods are:
- Michaelmas Term: Opens on 01 September - Closes at 4pm Friday of 1st week
- Hilary Term: Opens on 01 January - Closes at 4pm Friday of 1st week
- Trinity Term: Opens on 01 April - Closes at 4pm Friday of 1st week
You will be taken straight to the student registration pages as soon as you have signed in.
How to register as a new student
|To register as a new student, you must have:|
When you login to Student Self-Service you will need to check your personal, contact, academic and other information. When you have checked, completed and updated all the information required for registration click on ‘Verify’ in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
When you arrive at your college to collect your University card, or department if you do not have a college, your University registration will be completed for you. If you are not in Oxford at anytime during the registration window you must contact your college/department to ensure that the final step of the registration process is completed for you. You must complete your student registration by the end of the first week of term, but we strongly recommend you do it as early as possible so you can access all University services and facilities.
Once your college/department completes your registration, your student maintenance loans and grants (where applicable) will be paid directly in to your bank account following the first day of term for your course (programme of study) (please allow 3-5 working days). You will now be able to access libraries, computing services and other facilities, and log back in to Student Self-Service to access its other features.
It is your responsibility to update your contact details throughout your time at the University of Oxford using Student Self-Service. You will be able to update these details at any time throughout the year. This is particularly important for international students holding a visa to study in the UK as it is a legal requirement of your visa.
You need to register once a year, at the anniversary of the term in which you started your current course (programme of study). As a returning student for Year 2 and beyond, you are able to complete your own registration using Student Self-Service. You do not need your college to complete the final step for you.
How to register as a continuing student
|Continuing students will be prevented from registering if:|
Login to Student Self-Service using your Oxford single sign-on. You will need to check your personal, contact, academic and other information. When you have checked, completed and updated all the information required for registration click on ‘Verify’ in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
You are now registered and have been enrolled for your next year of study. Student maintenance loans and grants (where applicable) will be paid directly in to your bank account following the first day of term for your course (programme of study) (please allow 3-5 working days). You are now able to print your Enrolment Certificate as proof of student status. Please allow 15 minutes for the system to update following your self registration.
It is your responsibility to update your contact details throughout your time at the University of Oxford. You will be able to update these details at any time throughout the year. This is particularly important for international students holding a visa to study in the UK as it is a legal requirement of your visa.
Having problems?If you encounter problems the Student Information and Advisory Service is available to you either by email or in person at the Examination Schools. PCs are available here if you have additional support needs. The PC suite is accessible to wheelchair users and students with mobility difficulties.
Frequently asked questions
I am a new student and I do not have my single-sign on details from IT Services yet
- You need to have met your conditions (academic and financial) and have returned your contract before you are emailed your login details. Please note there is usually a delay of up to 7 days between the Card Office/College receiving your contract and you getting the email with your login details.
- Check your junk e-mail folders just in case.
- Is your email address still valid i.e. has the one you used when you applied for admission since changed? If so, please contact your college, department or Student Information to amend the email address we hold for you.
- If you have done all this, then contact Student Information.
I cannot log-in to Student Self Service to register?
- Are you trying to log-in using the correct address? Go to the Student Gateway and follow the link to Student Self Service.
- Are you accessing via Safari on a mobile device? Sometimes it may not work so it is advisable to try a desktop computer instead.
- Are you a current student with any holds on your record (not completed transfer of status, reached maximum number of terms). If so, then contact your department.
- Are you a current student on suspension? Then your college must re-enroll you.
I cannot remember my password or log-in details?
- If you are new student, please contact IT Services using the request form
- If you are a current student, you may remember your username but not your password. You can reset your password online
How do I answer ‘who pays the majority of your University tuition fees’?
- 05- paid by a University/College/Departmental award
- 05- Clarendon scholarship
- 01-self funded, or paid by parents
- 31-fees paid by NHS bursary for Medical students in 5/6 year
- 2- fees paid by student loans company
- 48- fees paid by US Federal direct loan
I am a continuing student, do I need to register?
- Yes, until you have officially completed your studies, and for graduate studies, until you get leave to supplicate. If you have paid your maximum fee liability you can still register and will not be charged fees.
- If you completed one course at Oxford e.g. undergraduate degree and are now taking a second course e.g. postgraduate course then you need to register. Because it is a new course you are considered a new student and so must also visit your college to complete the process.
I am a continuing student and my year of study says ‘Year 4’ but I am in my fifth year of study, can you change this?
- The year of study relates to fee status rather than year of study, so if you reached your maximum fee liability period in Year 4 the year will not change.
I am a current student on a study abroad year, do I still need to register?
- Yes, undergraduates on compulsory year abroad must register.
- Those on an inbuilt optional year abroad should ask their college to be suspended.
- If you are on an optional year abroad (e.g. Erasmus) you need to register: ask your college if you are unsure.
- If you are a graduate student researching abroad your mode of study should be Oxford based not Year Abroad.
Common technical error messages displayed:
The Record in Table HZ_TABLE_PRT_PARTT_USES CANNOT BE LOCKED AS IT HAS BEEN UPDATED BY ANOTHER USER or YOU CANNOT UPDATE COLUMN LOCATION_OD
This is usually because you have two or more browser windows open, close one and try again.
COLUMN ADDRESS 1 MUST HAVE A VALUE
Did you select a country for correspondence but not complete the rest of the address? Are any other parts of the address fields incomplete? Have you entered an address for all categories i.e. home, term, correspondence (even if you are using the same address for two or more categories)?
PLEASE GO BACK AND USE APPSLOCALLOGIN
You may be using a browser that is not compatible, please try another browser or contact us for advice.
How will my data be used after I register?
All data contained within your student record is held in accordance with data protection laws. Information is available to help you to understand the purposes for which the University will process your personal data. The University and the colleges need to process your personal data in order to perform their educational, pastoral and administrative purposes and responsibilities to you and others. This processing will take place before, during and after your studies at Oxford.
In addition, the University is required by the Further and Higher Eduction Act 1992 to submit the data held on your student record to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). For further information, please visit the HESA website.
We have a responsibility to ensure that the personal data which we process is accurate. Please help us to do this by ensuring that your personal details, including your UK address, are kept up-to-date. It is particularly important that the University and the colleges always hold an accurate current term-time address so that we can contact you with important information. You can check and, if necessary, amend your personal details by logging in to Student Self Service.
Below are screenshots from Student Self Service of the Registration page and the Enrolment certificate. Click on the image to see a larger version.