Degree certificates
Degree Ceremony, Oxford, UK
Copyright © Pawel Sytniewski. This image comes from Oxford University Images. All rights reserved.

Degree certificates and letters

Once your degree has been conferred at a degree ceremony either in person or in absentia, you will automatically receive a degree certificate. This will be either presented to you by your college on the day of the graduation ceremony, or posted to you.

Students who have completed an award bearing non-matriculated course (certificate or diploma) with the Department for Continuing Education will receive an award certificate from the Department.

Replacement and additional certificates

Additional copies of degree certificates cannot be ordered. If your degree certificate is lost, stolen or damaged, you can order a replacement certificate at a cost of £30. If you graduated before February 2010 and have not received your free degree certificate, or would like to order a replacement, please download the postal order form from the ‘Related documents’ section on the right hand side of this page.

Degree confirmation letters

If you have passed your examinations and have not had your degree conferred at a degree ceremony, or if you have attended a ceremony but require proof of your award to present to a third party, you can request a degree confirmation letter free of charge. The letter will confirm that you have successfully completed your course at the University of Oxford, the dates of attendance and the classification you received.

You may order degree confirmation letters through the University online shop or by completing the postal order form in the ‘Related documents’ section on the right hand side of this page. When ordering letters through the online shop you will not have to input payment details in order to complete your order.

If you have chosen to collect your confirmation letter, we will notify you by email when it is available. If you would like somebody to collect the confirmation letter on your behalf, please email the name of the person to Degree Conferrals. When you collect your confirmation letter you will need to bring a photo ID with you to ensure the document is released to the correct person.

In order to obtain a degree confirmation letter for a Research degree, you need to have submitted a hardbound copy of your thesis together with an electronic copy if applicable.

Tier 1 Post Study Work visa applications

On 6 April 2012, Tier 1 (Post Study Work) closed to new applicants and, for the purpose of applying for this visa we will no longer be able to issue a degree confirmation letter. Visit after your studies.

Name changes

The name which you held when you completed your degree (granted 'leave to supplicate') will be the name on your degree certificate and degree confirmation letter. The only retrospective changes that can be made are where an administrative error has occurred or where the University is required to make a retrospective change under the provisions of the Gender Recognition Act 2004.

If you have changed your name following completion of your course of study, (for example, through marriage, or by Deed Poll), and wish to demonstrate to a prospective employer or education institution that your degree certificate or confirmation letter belongs to you, supporting documentation showing the name change should accompany the certificate. Visit your student record.

For reasons of security and data protection, all certificate and degree confirmation letter requests must be made by graduates themselves; requests on their behalf cannot be accepted from third parties.