- Visitors & Friends
- About the University
Submission of formal assessments
Below is guidance on submitting work for assessment. Please read the Examination Regulations for your course in full ahead of submitting work for your formal examination, and the memorandum from the Proctors which contains useful information regarding the submission of work under general matters, plagiarism and conduct in examinations.
Taught degrees submissions relate to submissions required from:
- all undergraduate students (with the exception of students of the Department for Continuing Education).
- all students studying for BTh, MA, BPhil, MPhil, MSt, MSC by Coursework, MTh, MBA, Master of Fine Art, BCl, MJur, BM, BMBCh, MPP.
Where regulations state that work is to be submitted to 'the Clerk of the Schools', this means to the Submissions Desk located at the Examination Schools.
Submission deadline and regulations
You are required to:
- Check your deadline published in the Examination Regulations and in your course handbook – this is the date and time by which your work must be submitted by.
- Submit your work between 8:30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, when the submission desk is open.
- If the published submission deadline falls on a closure day (e.g. weekend, Bank Holiday) check with your department whether a revised deadline or an alternative hand-in point has been agreed.
- Ensure you collect a receipt giving the date and time that you submitted your work, regardless of whether your work was submitted on time or late.
- Format your work (e.g. layout, number of copies, and type of binding) as set out in the Examination Regulations or in your course handbook – if unsure consult your departmental administrator.
You are advised:
- It is always best to submit your own work personally.
- Sending your assignment by post or courier means that:
- you will not obtain your copy of a receipt
- the actual time of delivery to the Examination Schools will not be known so only the time of collection by the Submissions Desk staff will be recorded.
- you cannot guarantee the condition of work submitted in this way.
- Leaving the work in the Examination Schools' post-box is not recommended as the post-box is NOT checked on a regular basis.
- The issue of a receipt does not guarantee that submitted work will be accepted for assessment if it has been presented after the stipulated deadline.
- There are NO printing facilities for students in the Examination Schools.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your work is submitted by the deadline. Responsibility for the work rests with you at all times until issue of the receipt, regardless of the method of submission.
1. Arrival at the Examination Schools
- The Submissions Desk is located on the right hand side of the main hall of the Examination Schools – turn right from the main entrance ;
- There are tables in front of the Submissions Desk available for your use for completing your receipt, envelope, etc;
- The actual time of your submission is the time your receipt is stamped after you hand in your assignment to the Submissions Desk staff (it is not the time you arrived at the Examination Schools) so please allow plenty of time for completing the process of submission;
- We cannot guarantee issuing your submission receipt by the deadline if you arrive at the Examination Schools at the last minute as you may have to queue.
2. Preparing for Submission
- On arrival at the Examination Schools fill in a receipt and address your envelope
- Each assessment handed in to the Submissions Desk staff must be sealed in a separate envelope (NB if you are required to hand in two copies of the same assessment, these should be sealed in the same envelope);
- Candidates with any Specific Learning Difficulty, for example dyslexia, should also obtain a cover sheet to be attached to their work
- Your candidate number can be obtained from your Student Self Service account. Computers are available by the Student Information Desk in the Main Hall of the Examination Schools (Student Information Officers will provide guidance should you have any questions);
- If work/receipt is not clearly addressed/completed, it will not be identifiable and may be reported as not submitted.
3. Submitting your work
- When ready with your receipt and envelope(s), go to the Submissions Desk and, if no staff is present, press the bell button located on the counter to ring for attention;
- Hand the work (in its envelope) and the receipt form to the Submission Desk staff;
- Your receipt will be signed, stamped with date and time, and the yellow copy handed back to you (the blue copy will be retained with your assignment for processing).
4. After Submission
- Once your work has been submitted leave the Examination Schools in a timely manner so as not to disturb other students submitting or other events happening in the Examination Schools (e.g. examinations);
- Keep your receipt safe in case of any queries.
Work submitted after the deadline
Work submitted after the deadline will be processed in the standard manner and, in addition, the late submission will be reported to the Proctors' Office. Any candidate who is late in handing work in should consult his/her college Senior Tutor (via the college office) as a matter of urgency.
To contact the Taught Submissions Office, please email: email@example.com.