Before you start | University of Oxford

Before you start

Moving to Oxford

The University's Occupational Health Service website provides health information for overseas visitors to the UK, including advice about NHS services and registering with a doctor. 

The University operates a discretionary relocation scheme, which may be available to new staff, depending on circumstances, eligibility and the availability of funding from your department or grant provider.

If you are moving to Oxford from overseas, please visit the Information for international staff website for information about relocating to the UK, such as immigration, opening a bank account and transferring money to the UK. You will also find useful information on the Euraxess UK website, run by the British Council, which provides information and advice for international research staff who are looking to work at UK universities.

Further information


If you are a non-EEA (European Economic Area) national moving to Oxford from overseas, you may require a visa to work in the United Kingdom. Guidance about this can be obtained from the administrator in your new department or from the University's Staff Immigration Team.

Guidance on eligibility for academic visitors' visas is available on the Staff Immigration website. Visas must be obtained from your nearest British visa application centre.

Further information

Finding accommodation

Advertisements offering short and long-term accommodation in Oxford and the surrounding area are available at the back of the University Gazette, which is published weekly during term time.

Guidance about the different accommodation options in Oxford and the processes associated with renting or buying a property in the UK is available on the Information for international staff website.

The Graduate Accommodation Office only provides accommodation for graduate students. However, its website contains useful links and general information about renting accommodation in Oxford.

Further information