- Text of the proposals as published in the Gazette (PDF)
- Working Group report and its annexes (both PDFs)
- Implementation timetable (PDF)
Retirement at Oxford and you
How do we ensure that we have a retirement system which balances the effect of compulsory retirement on employees against the importance of promoting refreshment, diversity and inter-generational fairness?
The Government abolished the compulsory retirement age in 2011 but it remained possible for employers to have their own retirement age, provided that it could be justified. This is referred to as an Employer Justified Retirement Age (EJRA).
In October 2011, Oxford University introduced an EJRA for all academic and academic-related staff, currently set at 30 September before their 68th birthday.
It was agreed that the EJRA would operate for an initial period of ten years, with an interim review after five years.
As part of that interim review the University Council established a working group, which has just reported. It recommends:
- that the EJRA be retained
- that the retirement age be raised by one year to 68
- limiting the EJRA to staff eligible for Congregation i.e. those in grade eight and above
- providing better support for all staff nearing retirement age
- that all these changes come into effect as soon as is practicable.
This is where we need your help.
The University is inviting all members of staff to give feedback on the review group’s findings, ahead of the next Council meeting on 13 March 2017.
Council will be considering the recommendations of the working group and the future of the EJRA policy.
To ensure that your feedback is presented at the meeting, please provide it in writing to email@example.com by 5pm on 6 March 2017.
Details about the EJRA, the current review and the open meetings that have taken place can be found through the links below:
- Oxford University retirement age Q&As
- Feedback to the 2016 consultation (PDF)
- Open meetings (including the presentation slides from the meetings)
Vice-Chancellor’s Question Time: Employer Justified Retirement Age (EJRA)
Tuesday 7 March 2017 - 12:15-13:30
Oxford Martin School Lecture Theatre
34 Broad St, Oxford, OX1 3BD
How do we ensure that we have a retirement system which is fair to established academics but makes opportunities for the next generations of talented scholars?
Join us on 7 March and give us your feedback.
Tea and coffee will be available from 11:45. Please feel free to bring your lunch with you.
This Q&A has now passed.