- Visitors & Friends
- About the University
Research vision and strategy
Oxford strives to lead the international research agenda across the University’s disciplinary spectrum and through interdisciplinary initiatives.
Our ambitions and activities are influenced by more than eight centuries of learning, scholarship, research and public engagement.
Oxford’s Strategic Plan 2008/9 – 2012/13 expresses a commitment to disciplinary excellence across the spectrum of the sciences, medicine, the social sciences and the humanities, including supporting research in strategically important and vulnerable subjects. The range and health of the core academic disciplines provides an ideal foundation for the continued development of interdisciplinary research initiatives.
We aim to maximise the benefits of research by advancing fundamental knowledge and contributing to better public policy, improved health outcomes, economic prosperity, social cohesion, international development, community identity, the arts, culture and the quality of life.
Our high-level strategies across the Collegiate University include
- Retaining and recruiting researchers of the highest distinction and potential across the Collegiate University
- Attracting the very best research students nationally and internationally
- Continuing to provide a supportive research environment in which scholars, at every stage of their career, can flourish and develop
- Encouraging collaboration, regionally, nationally and internationally and effective partnerships with other research institutions, research agencies, funding bodies/sponsors and benefactors
- Ensuring that the fruits of the University’s research activities are exploited and disseminated for the benefit of society and the economy
- Providing the academic and administrative services and facilities needed to facilitate research excellence and knowledge transfer
The Collegiate University will continue to develop multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary programs and new ventures designed to address many of the major challenges that face our society.