Professor Gietel-Basten researches the interaction between population dynamics and social policy in a variety of low- and middle-income countries. His current projects includes a study of fertility preferences in low fertility Pacific Asia; designing a holistic population policy for Hong Kong; remeasuring ageing in Asia and designing a new Health and Demographic Surveillance System for Iraqi Kurdistan.
- Population trends in China and East Asia
- Population policy in China and East Asia, including the One Child Policy
- Ageing in China and East Asia
- Population trends in Europe
- Population and development
Professor Basten has extensive media experience including radio interviews.