Professor Buchanan is the former director of the Centre for Research into Parenting and Children. Before entering academic life in 1990, she spent ten years working as a child psychiatric social worker in an inner urban area. She researches how to promote wellbeing in children, especially those at risk of social exclusion.
- The emotional well-being of children
- Effects of divorce on children
- Fathers and fathering and grandparenting
- Children at risk of social exclusion
- Child welfare services in post-Soviet economies
- Evidence-based social interventions with children and families
Professor Buchanan has experience of working with the media.