Professor Strand is interested in gaps in equality – particularly in relation to ethnicity, social class and gender – in a wide range of educational outcomes (educational achievement, progress, attendance, exclusion, SEN) at all stages of statutory schooling and beyond. He is also interested in school effectiveness, not only in relation to the progress of different ethnic and social groups, but also on the impact of pupil mobility, English language fluency, out-of-hours learning and a range of similar factors.
- Ethnicity, social class, gender and educational achievement
- White working class achievement
- Equity in educational outcomes
- School effectiveness
- School performance/league tables
- Pupil mobility (changing schools)
Professor Strand has considerable media experience, including national print and broadcast media.