Professor Houlsby's research interests cover civil, geotechnical and offshore engineering; the offshore oil and gas industry; renewable energy, especially offshore wind power and marine renewables; and the theoretical and numerical aspects of soil mechanics.
- Civil engineering, especially all aspects of soil mechanics and geotechnical engineering
- Design of foundations for off-shore oil platforms (jack-up, gravity and piled structures)
- Offshore wind power and renewable energy
- Analysis of tunnelling and its effect on surface structures
- Use of numerical and computational methods in civil engineering
- Tidal power
Professor Houlsby has experience of working with the media.