Professor Buchanan is the former director of the Centre for Research into Parenting and Children. Before entering academic life in 1990, she spent ten years working as a child psychiatric social worker in an inner urban area. She researches how to promote wellbeing in children, especially those at risk of social exclusion. Much of her research has a social policy impact. Recently, she has given keynote addresses in China (2010), Malaysia (2015) USA (2016), Athens (2017) and 2018 she was invited to South Korea to address the Korean Adolescent Research Association.
- The emotional well-being of children
- Effects of divorce on children
- Fathers and fathering and grandparenting
- Children at risk of social exclusion
- Child welfare services in post-Soviet economies
- Evidence-based social interventions with children and families
- Child protection
Professor Buchanan has considerable experience of working with the media.