Dr Ballam is the author of two collections of poetry, six stage plays, one novel and numerous academic works, including articles reviews and chapters. He is best-known for his critically-acclaimed memoir The Road to Harmony (1999; new edition 2009). His principal research interests are in nineteenth- and twentieth-century British and American literature. He is a prolific reviewer and has also worked with the prestigious Italian consortium Fondazione IStud on a series of enterprise biographies. His main field of interest, however, remains drama and he is currently a script consultant and screenwriter for several major producers in London, Hollywood and Mumbai.
- Creative writing teaching to all levels, especially undergraduates and postgraduates
- Life writing (biography, memoir, autobiography - teaching it and doing it)
- Screenwriting (teaching it and doing it)
- Novel writing (teaching it and doing it)
- Lifelong learning for adults, especially people from disadvantaged backgrounds
Dr Ballam has considerable experience of working with the media in the UK, USA and elsewhere. He is a regular guest on BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio Oxford.