Dr Hertog is a Research Fellow on the GenTime project at the Department of Sociology, University of Oxford.
Her research interests lie in the field of family sociology and social policy; her current research focuses on the gender balance in the domestic division of labour in contemporary Japan.
- Domestic division of labour in East Asia, especially in Japan
- Multigenerational households in Japan
- Childcare policies in Japan
- Marriage formation
- Contemporary Japanese families
- Single motherhood in contemporary Japan (related welfare, legal and labour market issues as well as associated social norms)
- Marriage trends in contemporary Japan
- Low birth rate in contemporary Japan