University Gazette, 5 November 2009: University
GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE OF COUNCIL
Changes in Regulations
The General Purposes Committee of Council has made the following changes in regulations, to come into effect on 20 November.
Douglas Byrne Marconi Fund
These regulations establish the Douglas Byrne Marconi Fund for the support of the Douglas Byrne Marconi Fellowship and lecture.
Text of Regulations
In Part 2 of Council Regulations 25 of 2002, concerning trusts (Statutes, 2000, p. 606, as redesignated as regulations by Decree (5) of 11 July 2002, Gazette, Vol. 132, p. 1461), insert new § 46 as follows and renumber existing §§ 46–115 as §§ 47–116:
'§ 46. Douglas Byrne Marconi Fund
1. A Douglas Byrne Marconi Fund shall be created, into which shall be deposited a bequest for the establishment of the Douglas Byrne Fellowship and lecture, together with any additional funds received for that purpose.
2. The Bodleian Library shall use the income but not the capital of the Fund for the support of the Douglas Byrne Marconi Fellowship and lecture.
3. The administration of the Fund shall be the responsibility of the Curators of University Libraries, who shall establish a Board of Management comprising:
(1) Bodley's Librarian or his or her nominee;
(2) the Director of the Museum of the History of Science or his or her nominee;
(3) the Professor of the History of Science in the University of Oxford.
4. Regulations 1 and 3 above may be amended by Council.'
CONGREGATION 3 November
1 Declaration of approval of resolution authorising expenditure from the Higher Studies Fund
That the University be authorised to expend from that part of the Higher Studies Fund earmarked for Physical Chemistry the sum of up to £360k to provide a start-up grant for Professor C.V. Robinson, Royal Society Professor and Dr Lee's Professor-elect of Chemistry.
2 Presentation of Vice-Chancellor's Oration
The Oration delivered by the Vice-Chancellor on 6 October was declared presented.
COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY
Register of Congregation
Mr Vice-Chancellor reports that the following names have been added to the Register of Congregation:
Cluver, L.D., Wolfson
Greaves, H.C., Somerville
Hall-Lew, L., Wolfson
Jones, C.R., St John's
Jones, S., Faculty of Oriental Studies
Pitcher, L.V., Somerville
Stamatakis, C.T., Lincoln