University Gazette, 14 May 2009: University Acts
PLANNING AND RESOURCE ALLOCATION COMMITTEE OF COUNCIL
Changes in Regulations
The Planning and Resource Allocation Committee of Council has made the following changes in regulations, to come into effect on 29 May.
Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company Professorship of Management Studies
1 In SCHEDULE A of Council Regulations 3 of 2004, concerning statutory professorships, delete 'The Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company Professor of Management Studies' and substitute 'Dubai Ports World Professorship of Entrepreneurship and Innovation'.
2 In Sect. III of Council Regulations 24 of 2002, concerning individual professorships (Statutes, 2000, p. 460–1, as redesignated as regulations by Decree (5) of 11 July 2002, Gazette, Vol. 132, p. 1461), delete existing § 198 and substitute:
'§ 198. Dubai Ports World Professorship of Entrepreneurship and Innovation
1. The benefaction provided by Dubai Ports World (formerly the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company) shall be used to maintain the Dubai Ports World Professorship of Entrepreneurship and Innovation.
2. The Dubai Ports World Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation shall lecture and give instruction in entrepreneurship and innovation.
3. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the head of the college specified in paragraph (2) below is Vice- Chancellor, a person appointed by Council on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(2) the Principal of Green Templeton College; or if the Principal is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of Green Templeton College on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of Green Templeton College;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council (one of these after consultation with Dubai Ports World);
(6) a person appointed by the Social Sciences Board; and
(7)–(9) three persons appointed by the Saïd Business School.
4. The professor shall be subject to General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations which are applicable to this chair.'
[These changes, made on the recommendation of the Social Sciences Board, rename the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company (P&O) Professorship of Management Studies as the Dubai Ports (DP) World Professorship of Entrepreneurship and Innovation following the acquisition of P&O by Dubai Ports World. The changes also amend the subject area of the professorship and update the regulations more generally.]
CONGREGATION 9 May
Conferment of Honorary Degrees
(1) The Degree of Doctor of Letters, honoris causa, approved by Resolution of Congregation on 16 December 2008, was conferred upon ROGER BONING.
(2) The Degree of Master of Arts, honoris causa, approved by Resolution of Congregation on 20 January 2009, was conferred upon ANTONY CHARLES WILLIS.
COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY
Register of Congregation
Mr Vice-Chancellor reports that the following names have been added to the Register of Congregation:
Calvert, G.C., Worcester
Cass, T.R., Faculty of Mathematics
Duric, M.A., Department of Cardiovascular Medicine
Gramberg, H.J.J., Faculty of Mathematics
Hepburn, C.J., New College
Jones, G.W., Jesus
Lipsky, D.M., Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine
Patient, R.K., Weatheall Institute of Molecular Medicine
Peppin, S.S.L., Faculty of Mathematics
Wright, J.D.M., Christ Church
BOARDS OF FACULTIES
For changes in regulations for examinations, to come into effect on 29 May, see 'Examinations and Boards' below.