University Gazette, 5 February 2009: University
CONGREGATION 10 February
The meeting of Congregation is cancelled. The sole business comprises a question to which no opposition has been notified and in respect of which no request for an adjournment has been received, and Mr Vice- Chancellor will accordingly declare the Annual Review of the University for 2007–8 carried without a meeting under the provisions of Sect. 7 (1) of Statute IV (Supplement (1) to Gazette No. 4633, 9 October 2002, Vol. 133, p. 100).
Presentation of the Annual Review of the University
The Annual Review of the University for 2007–8 (Supplement *1 to Gazette, Vol. 139, January 2009) will be declared presented.
CONGREGATION 24 February 2 p.m.
¶ Members of Congregation are reminded that written notice of any intention to vote against any of the resolutions below, signed in each case by at least two members of Congregation, must be given to the Registrar by noon on Monday, 16 February (see the note on the conduct of business in Congregation below).
Voting on Resolutions approving the conferment of Honorary Degrees
(1) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Letters, honoris causa, upon FAZLE HASAN ABED, Chairperson, BRAC (formerly Bangladesh Rural Advancement Committee), President, BRAC University Governing Board, Commissioner, UN Commission on Legal Empowerment of the Poor, be approved.
(2) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Letters, honoris causa, upon SANTIAGO CALATRAVA VALLS, DIPL.ARCHITECT, Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura, Valencia, DIPL.ENGINEER, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH, Zurich, Architect and Structural Engineer, Hon. Fellow RIBA, be approved.
(3) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Letters, honoris causa, upon NATALIE ZEMON DAVIS, BA Smith College, MA Oxf, MA Radcliffe College, PH.D Michigan, Corresp. FBA, Corresp. FRHS, FAAAS, Historian, Professor Emerita, Princeton University, and Adjunct Professor, University of Toronto, be approved.
(4) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Letters, honoris causa, upon PHILIP NICHOLAS OUTRAM PULLMAN, CBE, MA Oxf, FRSL, Author, Honorary Fellow of Exeter College, be approved.
(5) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Science, honoris causa, upon ERWIN LOUIS HAHN, B.SC Juniata College, Pennsylvania, PH.D Illinois, FRS, Physicist, Professor Emeritus, University of California, Berkeley, Honorary Fellow of Brasenose College, be approved.
(6) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Science, honoris causa, upon BARRY JAMES MARSHALL, AC, MB BS Western Australia, FRS, FRACP, Professor of Clinical Microbiology, University of Western Australia, Western Australian Ambassador for Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science, Member of the US Academy of Sciences, be approved.
(7) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Music, honoris causa, upon MITSUKO UCHIDA, CBE, Hochschule für Musik, Vienna, Classical Pianist, be approved.
¶ If the resolutions are approved, the honorary degrees will be conferred at the Encaenia on 24 June 2009, with the exception of Professor Davis on whom the honorary degree will be conferred at a ceremony on 18 July at 2.30 p.m.