University Gazette, 29 May 2008: University Acts
COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY
Changes in Regulations
Council has made the following changes in regulations, to come into effect on 13 June.
1 In Council Regulations 15 of 2002, concerning the Educational Policy and Standards Committee (Supplement (1) to Gazette No. 4634, 16 October 2002, pp. 226–8) as amended on 8 May 2003, 23 March 2006, 19 October 2006, 7 February and 1 November 2007 (Gazette Vol. 133, p. 1335, 29 May 2003; Vol. 136, pp. 250, 836; Vol. 137, p. 788, 22 February 2007; Vol. 138, p. 260), delete existing regulations 2.1–2.3 and substitute (new text underlined):
2.1.The Education Committee shall consist of:
(1) the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education) who shall chair the committee;
(2)–(4) the Proctors and the Assessor;
(5), (6) two persons appointed by Council from among the members of Council;
(7), (8) two persons appointed by Council from the divisions to ensure appropriate disciplinary balance (one normally to be a Director of Graduate Studies);
(9) the Chair or Vice-Chair of the Conference of Colleges;
(10) the Chair of the Senior Tutors' Committee of the Conference of Colleges;
(11) the Chair of the Graduate Committee of the Conference of Colleges;
(12) the Chair of the Admissions Committee of the Conference of Colleges;
(13)–(16) the chairs of the Education Committees (or their equivalent) of each division;
(17) the Director of the Department for Continuing Education;
(18), (19) the Vice-President (Access and Academic Affairs) and the Vice-President (Graduates) of the Oxford University Student Union.
2.2.The committee may co-opt up to two additional members.
2.3.The committee shall be responsible for the following matters, in liaison with the divisions, colleges, societies, and Permanent Private Halls as appropriate:
(1) the definition and keeping under review in the context of the University's Mission Statement and Strategic Plan of the educational philosophy, policy, and standards of the collegiate University including:
(a) undergraduate and graduate admissions;
(b) student funding and access;
(c) undergraduate and taught postgraduate course structure and curriculum design;
(d) structure of doctoral programmes, and arrangements for the assessment of progression and examination of doctoral students;
(e) teaching, learning, and assessment (including all aspects of the practical arrangements for examination, in consultation with the Proctors, and the oversight of the standards of the degrees awarded across the University);
(f) approval of new courses;
(g) academic and pastoral support and guidance;
( h) provision and use of learning resources;
(i) collaborative provision;
(j) the arrangements for part-time study and the oversight of programmes delivered in the name of the University of Oxford other than at degree level;
(2) the establishment and keeping under review of structures and mechanisms for assuring the implementation of these policies, the management of learning opportunities, the maintenance of standards, and the enhancement of good practice;
(3) the administration of a programme for the regular review of divisions (in this context, including the Continuing Education Department) in conjunction with the Planning and Resource Allocation Committee and on behalf of Council and its Committees;
(4) in conjunction with divisions, the administration and oversight of a programme of regular review of the divisions' faculties and departments by reference to international standards of excellence;
(5) the oversight and co-ordination of activities necessary to meet the requirements of external agencies involved in educational standards;
(6) in the light of all the above and on the basis of divisional five-year plans, the consideration of the overall balance of activity and provision of resources between graduate studies, undergraduate studies, and continuing education respectively, and the making of recommendations to Council through its Planning and Resource Allocation Committee.'
2 In Council Regulations 6 of 2003 concerning procedures for handling complaints submitted to the Proctors (Gazette No. 4674, 30 October 2003, p. 234), as amended on 14 July 2005, 4 May 2006 and 26 July 2007 (Gazette, Vol. 135, p. 1270; Vol. 136, p. 990; Vol. 137, p. 1422), in sections 9, 46 and 55 delete 'Educational Policy and Standards Committee' and substitute 'Education Committee'.
3 In Council Regulations 17 of 2002 concerning Divisional Boards (Supplement (2) to Gazette No. 4628, 26 June 2002, p. 1408), as amended on 5 May 2005, 14 July 2005, 13 October 2005, 16 March 2006, 4 May 2006, 27 July 2006, 7 June 2007, 12 July 2007 and 18 October 2007 (Gazette, Vol. 135, pp. 926, 1270; Vol. 136, pp. 182, 786, 988, 1390; Vol. 137, pp. 1254, 1358; Vol. 138, p. 216), in regulation 12 (12)–(14) delete 'Educational Policy and Standards Committee' and substitute 'Education Committee'.
4 In Council Regulations 15 of 2002 concerning the ICT Subcommittee of the Planning and Resource Allocation Committee (Supplement (1) to Gazette No. 4634, 16 October 2002, p. 226), as amended on 11 October 2007 (Gazette, Vol. 138, p. 188), in regulation 3.48 (7) delete 'Educational Policy and Standards Committee' and substitute 'Education Committee'.
5 These regulations shall be effective from 1 October 2008.
[These changes in regulations, made on the recommendation of the Educational Policy and Standards Committee of Council and approved by Council, amend the membership and the remit of the committee to enable it to conduct its business more effectively. Council will continue to appoint four members of the committee: however, two will come from amongst its own membership; two from amongst the divisions. In addition, the chairs of divisional Education Committees or their equivalent will be members of the committee, and there will be further senior representation of the Conference of Colleges to reflect the importance of teaching and learning as a major concern of the Conference. The Director of the Department of Continuing Education will also be a member of the committee.]
CONGREGATION 27 May
Declaration of approval of unopposed Legislative Proposal
No notice of opposition having been given, Mr Vice-Chancellor declared the Legislative Proposal amending Statute VI approved.
COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY
Register of Congregation
Mr Vice-Chancellor reports that the following names have been added to the Register of Congregation:
Corkill, R.A., Green College
Klein, J., Exeter
Patel, A., Faculty of Oriental Studies
Sheldon, N.J., St Hilda's
Shingler, C., Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine
Tobias, J.A., Zoology
van der Blom, H., Merton
Wilson, J.A.J., Lady Margaret Hall
DIVISIONAL AND FACULTY BOARDS
For changes in regulations for examinations, to come into effect on 13 June, see 'Examinations and Boards' below.