University Gazette, 15 November 2007: University
COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY
Changes in Regulations
Council has made the following changes in regulations, to come into effect on 30 November.
1 In Council Regulations 15 of 2002, concerning committees reporting directly to Council (Supplement (1) to Gazette No. 4634, 16 October 2002, p. 226), insert new regulations 3.81–3.85 and renumber existing regulations 3.81–3.118 as 3.86–3.123:
'3.81. The Nominations Committee shall consist of:
(1) a person appointed by Council either (i) from among those current members of Council nominated by Council and approved by Congregation who are not when they are nominated members of Congregation or resident holders of teaching, research, or administrative posts in the University or in any college, society, or Permanent Private Hall or (ii) from among former members of Council falling within this same category;
(2) a person appointed by Council from among those current members of Council nominated by Council and approved by Congregation who are not when they are nominated members of Congregation or resident holders of teaching, research, or administrative posts in the University or in any college, society, or Permanent Private Hall;
(3) a person appointed by Council from among the members of Council;
(4) one of the Proctors or the Assessor ex officio as may be agreed between them;
(5) a person appointed by Council from among the members of Council elected by Congregation who is a member of a faculty within the divisions of Humanities or Social Sciences;
(6) a person appointed by Council from among the members of Council elected by Congregation who is a member of a faculty within the divisions of Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences or Medical Sciences;
(7)–(10) four members of Congregation elected by Congregation.
3.82. The committee shall appoint a chair from among the members of the committee in categories (1) and (2) above.
3.83. The term of office of the members of the committee appointed by Council shall be determined by Council in each case up to a maximum of three years and may extend beyond the term of each individual's membership of Council. No external member of Council shall serve on the committee when his/her own reappointment to Council is being considered. Members of the committee appointed by Council shall be eligible for reappointment but shall not serve for more than six years in total. Members of the committee elected by Congregation shall serve for three years and shall be eligible for re-election.
3.84. The committee shall:
(1) establish (in consultation with Council), publish, and keep under review criteria for the selection or election of members of Council;
(2) in the event of a vacancy in Council under section 4 (7)–(10) of Statute VI for a member of Council to be nominated by Council and approved by Congregation who is not when nominated a member of Congregation or resident holder of a teaching, research, or administrative post in the University or in any college, society, or Permanent Private Hall:
(a) the committee shall by advertisement in the University Gazette invite written nominations of candidates from any member of Congregation. The notice shall be published to allow a period of at least twenty-one days in Full Term between the date of the invitation in the Gazette and the closing date by which nominations must be received;
(b) after the closing date the committee shall consider all the nominations it has received and those candidates proposed by its own members, select from them having due regard to the principles of equality and diversity and agreed selection criteria, and make recommendations to Council;
(c) Council shall consider all recommendations received from the Nominations Committee and shall either propose a candidate or candidates for approval by Congregation or shall ask the committee to submit further names for its consideration;
(d) if a candidate is rejected by Congregation the committee shall propose a further candidate or candidates to be put to Council in accordance with sub-paragraph (b) above, or, if necessary, by readvertising the vacancy in the University Gazette in accordance with sub-paragraph (a) above, until each vacancy is filled.
(3) advise Council on such other aspects of the membership of Council as may be requested by Council from time to time. 3.85. The committee shall make reports to Council and to Congregation as appropriate on the matters set out in 3.84.'
[These regulations establish a new committee of Council (i) to establish (in consultation with Council), publish, and keep under review criteria for the selection or election of members of Council, and (ii) to recommend candidates to Council to fill vacancies amongst external members, having sought nominations from members of Congregation. Nominations approved by Council will then (subject to the willingness of the nominees to have their names put to Congregation) be submitted to Congregation for approval.]
¶ Further information on the establishment of this committee may be found in a note by the Master of Balliol, the chairman of the Project Group of Council set up to draft the proposal, at www.admin.ox.ac.uk/vc/notes/nominations_committee.shtml.
COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY
Register of Congregation
Mr Vice-Chancellor reports that the following names have been added to the Register of Congregation:
Beebe, K.E., Balliol
Hicks, D., St Cross
Lahiri, A., Somerville
Latsis, J.S., Balliol
Levitan, S.P., Balliol
Makovicky, N.M., , Wolfson
Smith, N.P., St John's
Steinsaltz, D.R., Worcester