University Gazette, 15 May 2008: University Acts
GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE OF COUNCIL
Changes in Regulations
The General Purposes Committee of Council has made the following changes in regulations, to come into effect on 30 May.
Saïd Business School and Business Advisory Forum
1 In Part 2 of Council Regulations 25 of 2002, concerning trusts (Statutes, 2000, p. 719, as redesignated as regulations by Decree (5) of 11 July 2002, Gazette, Vol. 132, p. 1461), in § 311 delete existing regulations 4–7 and substitute:
'4. (1) There shall be a Business Advisory Forum ('the Forum') consisting of:
(a) the Vice-Chancellor;
(b) a person appointed by the Benefactor or his successor in title;
(c) the Peter Moores Dean of the Saïd Business School;
(d)–(h) the Vice-Deans and Chief Operating Officer of the Saïd Business School;
and not less than fifteen persons drawn from the international business community, appointed by Council after consultation with the Dean.
(2) The Forum shall appoint a chairman from among its own members.
(3) The period of office for appointed members shall be four years.
(4) The functions of the Forum shall be to advise the Executive Board on the needs of the business community in respect of business education, research, and training, to foster relationships with commerce and industry, and to assist in fund-raising for the Saïd Business School.
5. (1) There shall be a Business Advisory Board ('the Board') consisting of:
(a)–(c) three persons nominated by the Business Advisory Forum from the international business community;
(d) the Chair of the Saïd Business School Advisory Development Board;
(e) the Chair of Oxford Business Alumni;
(f) a person nominated by the Benefactor, or his successor in title;
(g) the Head of the Division of Social Sciences;
( h) the Peter Moores Dean of the Saïd Business School.
(2) Appointments to the Board shall be made by the Board of the Division of Social Sciences.
(3) The Board shall appoint a chairman from among its own members.
(4) The term of the first category of members is limited to a period of three years, after which members may be reappointed.
(5) The functions of the Board shall be to advise the Executive Board on the financial management of activities and business strategy for the Saïd Business School.
6. These regulations may be modified or replaced in whole or in part by further regulations or statutes, so long as the Trustees of the Saïd Business School Foundation shall first have approved the modification or replacement
(1) in the case of regulations 1–4 and 6 by a four-fifths majority; and
(2) in the case of regulation 5 by a simple majority.'
2 In Council Regulations 19 of 2002, concerning Faculty Boards (Supplement (2) to Gazette No. 4628, 26 June 2002, p. 1411), as amended on 5 May 2005 and 16 March 2006 (Gazette Vol. 135, p. 926; Vol. 136, p. 786), delete regulation 18 and substitute:
'18.The Board of the Faculty of Management shall consist of:
(1) the Peter Moores Dean of the Saïd Business School;
(2)–(6) the Vice-Deans of the Saïd Business School;
(7)–(9) three persons appointed by the Faculty of Management.'
[These changes, approved by the Saïd Business School and the Social Sciences Division, amend the Trust Regulations for the School, concerning the composition and operations of the Business Advisory Forum and the newly established Business Advisory Board. They also amend the constitution of the Board of the Faculty in light of the amendments made to the Trust Regulations.]
COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY
Register of Congregation
Mr Vice-Chancellor reports that the following name has been added to the Register of Congregation:
Dhaliwal, P., Magdalen
CONTINUING EDUCATION BOARD
For changes in regulations for examinations, to come into effect on 30 May, see 'Examinations and Boards' below.