University Gazette, 12 June 2008: University Acts
PLANNING AND RESOURCE ALLOCATION COMMITTEE OF COUNCIL
Changes in Regulations
The Planning and Resource Allocation Committee of Council has made the following regulations, to come into effect on 27 June.
Establishment of Professorship of Molecular and Population Genetics
1 In SCHEDULE C of Council Regulations 3 of 2004, concerning statutory professorships, after 'Robert Turner Professor of Diabetic Medicine' insert:
'Professor of Molecular and Population Genetics'.
2 In Sect. iii of Council Regulations 24 of 2002, concerning individual professorships (Statutes, 2000, p. 414, as redesignated as regulations by Decree (5) of 11 July 2002, Gazette, Vol. 132, p. 1461), insert new § 219 and renumber existing §§ 219–78 as §§ 220–79:
'§ 219. Professorship of Molecular and Population Genetics
1. The Professor of Molecular and Population Genetics shall lecture and give instruction in Molecular and Population Genetics.
2. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or if the head of the college specified in paragraph (2) below is the Vice- Chancellor, a person appointed by Council;
(2) the head of the college to which the Chair may be allocated by Council from time to time; or if the head is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of that college;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of the college;
(4, 5) two persons appointed by Council;
(6–9) four persons appointed by the Medical Sciences Board;
(10) a person holding a clinical appointment appointed by the Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust.
At least three members of the board, of whom one shall be a professor, shall hold clinical appointments.
3. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations, which are applicable to the Chair.'
[These changes, made on the recommendation of the Medical Sciences Board, establish a new Professorship of Molecular and Population Genetics.]
CONGREGATION 4 June
Conferment of Degree by Diploma
The Degree of Doctor of Civil Law by Diploma, approved by Resolution of Congregation on 22 April 2008, was conferred upon HIS MAJESTY KING ABDULLAH II IBN AL HUSSEIN, King of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
¶ The text of the Diploma read by the Public Orator at the ceremony, and the text of His Majesty's reply, appear in 'Notices' below.
CONGREGATION 10 June
1 Declaration of approval of unopposed Resolution concerning the University's Draft Strategic Plan
That this House approve the draft Strategic Plan for 2008–9 to 2012–13 published as Supplement (2) to Gazette No. 4845, 21 May 2008 (also available on the Web site at www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/2007-8/supps/2_4845.pdf).
2 Declaration of approval of unopposed Legislative Proposals
No notice of opposition having been given, Mr Vice-Chancellor declared the Legislative Proposals (1) concerning Statute VII: Divisions, Faculties, Sub-faculties, Departments, and the Department for Continuing Education, (2) concerning the Heath Harrison Fund, and (3) concerning Statute XVI, Part B: Intellectual Property (pp. 1119–21) approved.
COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY
Register of Congregation
Mr Vice-Chancellor reports that the following names have been added to the Register of Congregation:
Carroll, R.P., Nuffield Department of Surgery
Ezzet, H., Pitt Rivers Museum
Jones, A.M., University Development Office
Leczykiewicz, D., Lady Margaret Hall
Lee, D.C., St John's
Middleton, G.D., School of Anthropology
Moore, T., Faculty of Philosophy
Ruckley, E.E., Corpus Christi
Williamson, L., St Anne's
EDUCATIONAL POLICY AND STANDARDS COMMITTEE AND DIVISIONAL BOARDS
For changes in regulations for examinations, to come into effect on 27 June, see 'Examinations and Boards' below.