University Gazette, 7 February 2008: University
GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE OF COUNCIL
Changes in Regulations
The General Purposes Committee of Council has made the following changes in regulations, to come into effect on 22 February.
Establishment of Simmons Bequest
In Part 2 of Council Regulations 25 of 2002, concerning trusts (Statutes, 2000, p. 723, as redesignated as regulations by Decree (5) of 11 July 2002, Gazette, Vol. 132, p. 1461), insert new § 331 as follows and renumber existing §§ 331–59 as §§ 332–60:
'§ 331. Simmons Bequest
1. The benefaction from the estate of the late Mr John Simon Gabriel Simmons, together with any further donations for this purpose, shall be known as the Simmons Bequest.
2. The University shall divide the Bequest into three equal funds, to be known respectively as the Nicholson, Woodbine, and Konovalov Funds, for the following purposes:
(1) Nicholson Fund—to further the charitable purposes of the University of Oxford with specific reference to the clerical, technical and janitorial staffs of the Bodleian and its dependent libraries;
(2) Woodbine Fund—for the acquisition, binding and conservation of reference works for the Bodleian Old Library; and
(3) Konovalov Fund—for the acquisition of works in the Slavonic and East European fields for the Bodleian Library only.
3. Bodley's Librarian shall be responsible to the Curators of the University Libraries for administration of the funds subject to annual report to the Curators on the exercise of this responsibility.
4. Those responsible for the administration of the Funds shall do so in accordance with the purposes of the Funds as given in 2 above.
5. Regulations 1 and 3 above may be amended by Council.'
[These regulations establish the Simmons Bequest for purposes in connection with the Bodleian Library.]
CONGREGATION 5 February
Presentation of the Annual Review of the University
The Annual Review of the University for 2006–7 (Supplement *3 to Gazette, Vol. 138, January 2008) was declared presented.
COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY
Register of Congregation
Mr Vice-Chancellor reports that the following names have been added to the Register of Congregation:
Aber, J.L., Department of Social Policy and Social Work
Burton, K.W., Faculty of Earth Sciences
Claridge-Chang, A., Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics
He, L., Lady Margaret Hall
Marasingha, A.G., St Hilda's
Szulkin, M., Magdalen