University Gazette, 23 November 2006: University
PLANNING AND RESOURCE ALLOCATION COMMITTEE OF COUNCIL
Changes in Regulations
The Planning and Resource Allocation Committee of Council has made the following changes in regulations, to come into effect on 8 December.
Establishment of a Professorship of Physical Geography1 In SCHEDULE A of Council Regulations 3 of 2004, concerning statutory professorships, after 'Professor of Human Geography' insert:
'Professor of Physical Geography'.
2 In Sect. iii of Council Regulations 24 of 2002, concerning individual professorships (Statutes, 2000, p. 426, as redesignated as regulations by Decree (5) of 11 July 2002, Gazette, Vol. 132, p. 1461), insert new § 99 and renumber existing §§ 99–134 (pp. 426–41) as §§ 100–135:
'§ 99. Professor of Physical Geography
1. The Professor of Physical Geography shall engage in advanced study and research and shall lecture and give instruction in physical geography.
2. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or if the head of the college specified in paragraph (2) below is the Vice- Chancellor, a person appointed by Council;
(2) the head of the college to which the Professorship may be allocated by Council from time to time; or if the head is unable to unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of that college;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of the college specified in paragraph (2) above;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council;
(6) a person appointed by the Social Sciences Board; and
(7)–(9) three persons appointed by the Oxford University Centre for the Environment.
3. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations, which are applicable to this Chair.'
[These changes, made on the recommendation of the Social Sciences Board, establish a professorship of physical geography in the Social Sciences Division. The professor will be on the establishment of the OUCE in the Social Sciences Division.]
CONGREGATION 16 November
Conferment of Degree by Diploma
The Degree of Doctor of Civil Law by Diploma, approved by Resolution of Congregation on 25 April 2006, was conferred upon HIS MAJESTY KING HARALD V OF NORWAY, KG, GCVO.
¶ The text of the diploma read by the Public Orator at the conferment, and of His Majesty's reply, appear in 'Notices' below.
COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY
Register of Congregation
Mr Vice-Chancellor reports that the following names have been added to the Register of Congregation:
Allen, J.W.A., Queen's
Armitage, J.M., Faculty of Clinical Medicine
Bell Burnell, S.J., Mansfield
Berry, R.L., St Hilda's
Bowen, M.J.H., Central Purchasing Group
Calamita, N.J., St Hilda's
Coecke, B., Wolfson
Dunn, H.E., University Development Office
Earl, B.J., Blackfriars
Gardner, A., St John's
Gordon, R.A.P., St Peter's
Hughes, C.E., St Catherine's
Janis, M.W., Queen's
Kail, P.J.E., St Peter's
Leeson, C.P.M., Department of Cardiovascular Medicine
Lovett, B.W., St Anne's
Mares, H.M., St Hilda's
Miller, J.A.A., St Hugh's
Paul, G.L.B., St Hilda's
Pendlebury, S.T., Hertford
Preston, G.M., Brasenose
Roberts, Sir Ivor, Trinity
West, N., Sub-department of Particle Physics
DIVISIONAL BOARDSFor changes in regulations for examinations, to come into effect on 8 December, see 'Examinations and Boards' below.