University Gazette, 15 February 2007: University
CONGREGATION 20 February
The meeting of Congregation is cancelled. The sole business comprises questions to which no opposition has been notified and in respect of which no request for an adjournment has been received, and Mr Vice-Chancellor will accordingly declare the resolutions carried and the University's Annual Review presented without a meeting under the provisions of Sect. 7 (1) of Statute IV (Supplement (1) to Gazette No. 4633, 9 October 2002, Vol. 133, p. 100).
1 Declaration of approval of Resolutions approving the conferment of Honorary Degrees
(1) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Civil Law, honoris causa, upon JAMES EARL CARTER, BS, Former President of the United States of America, be approved.
(2) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Civil Law, honoris causa, upon BARONESS BRENDA HALE OF RICHMOND, DBE, MA, FBA, PC, Lord of Appeal in Ordinary, be approved.
(3) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Letters, honoris causa, upon DAME ANTONIA S. BYATT, DBE, BA, FRSL, Writer, be approved.
(4) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Letters, honoris causa, upon SIR CLIVE GRANGER, KT, BA, PH.D, Emeritus Professor, University of California at San Diego, be approved.
(5) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Letters, honoris causa, upon MS ARIANE MNOUCHKINE, Director, be approved.
(6) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Music, honoris causa, upon MR DANIEL MOSES BARENBOIM, Pianist and Conductor, be approved.
(7) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Science, honoris causa, upon DR RICHARD A. LERNER, BS, MD, President of the Scripps Research Institute, Lita Annenberg Hazen Professor of Immunochemistry and Cecil H. and Ida M. Green Chair in Chemistry, be approved.
(8) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Science, honoris causa, upon LORD MAY OF OXFORD, OM, AC, B.SC, PH.D, FRS, Former Head of the Office of Science and Technology and Former President of the Royal Society and Royal Society Research Professor in Zoology, University of Oxford and Imperial College, London, be approved.
(9) That the conferment of the Degree of Doctor of Science, honoris causa, upon PROFESSOR CHINTAMANI NAGESA RAMACHANDRA RAO, D.SC, PH.D, FRS, National Research Professor and Honorary President and Linus Pauling Research Professor of the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore, India, be approved.
2 Presentation of the Annual Review of the UniversityThe Annual Review of the University for 2005–6 (Supplement *2 to Gazette, Vol. 137, January 2007) will be declared presented.
CONGREGATION 6 March 2 p.m.
Members of Congregation are reminded that written notice of any intention to vote against, or any proposed amendment to, the legislative proposal below, signed in each case by at least two members of Congregation, must be given to the Registrar by noon on Monday, 26 February (see the note on the conduct of business in Congregation at the end of 'University Agenda').
Voting on Legislative Proposal: establishment of the C.S. Orwin Collection
The following Legislative Proposal submitted by Council under Part 2 of Congregation Regulations 2 of 2002 (Supplement (1) to Gazette No. 4633, 9 October 2002, Vol. 133, p. 161 as amended on 12 October 2004, Gazette Vol. 135, p. 214), which is promoted on the recommendation of the Committee for Museums and Scientific Collections, introduces new legislation governing the C.S. Orwin Collection. The collection was bequeathed to the University in 1947 by Dr C.S. Orwin, founding Director of the Institute for Research into Agricultural Economics. It has been determined subsequently that the bequest effectivelycreated a charitable trust, for whose formal existence provision is hereby made.
WHEREAS it is expedient to introduce new provisions governing the C.S. Orwin Collection, NOW THE UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD, in exercise of the powers in that behalf conferred upon it by the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge Act, 1923, and of all other powers enabling it, ENACTS, subject to the approval of Her Majesty in Council, as follows.
In the Schedule to the Statutes (Supplement (1) to Gazette No. 4633, 9 October 2002, pp. 133–59), after Part 66 insert the following new Part 67:
'Part 67: C.S. Orwin Collection
67.1. A collection of paintings and prints has been received by the University from Dr C.S. Orwin. The collection is to be retained and exhibited so far as practicable as a single collection within the University at such location as is considered appropriate from time to time, with power for the University to lend the collection wholly or in part (but in so far as practicable as a whole) from time to time to such other museum or institution for public display as it considers appropriate.
67.2. The administration of the collection shall be under the general direction of the Committee for the Museums and Scientific Collections.
67.3. Congregation may from time to time amend this Part so long as the main object of the bequest, as defined in section 67.1 above, is always kept in view.'