University of
Oxford Homepage

Supplement (1) to Oxford University Gazette No. 4745. Wednesday, 12 October 2005.
University of Oxford Crest

Scholarships and Prizes 2005: Hardship


The Access to Learning Fund (ALF) is for British students who need extra help to meet their living or course costs, whether because they have higher than normal costs e.g. student parents or disabled students, or because they fall into hardship unexpectedly. The Fund can be used to meet course-related costs, such as child-care provision costs, travel, and books and equipment. Payments can range up to £3,500 in exceptional circumstances. Funds may be granted to undergraduates and postgraduates, both full-time and part-time, who are either (i) `home' students who, at the start of their course, have been ordinarily resident in the UK for the three years preceding that date; or (ii) refugees their spouses/civil partners, children or step-children; or (iii) persons granted exceptional leave to enter or remain or indefinite leave to remain (ELE/ELR), or Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave; (iv) nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) employed in the UK, their spouses, and children, provided certain other conditions are met; or (v) EU nationals who lived in the UK and Island for the three year period before the start of their course. They should complete form PN1 available from their Local Education Authority and return it to them with a letter stating they wish to apply for tuition fee and maintenance support under the new rules. If the LEA determines they are eligible, they will be eligible to apply to the Access to Learning Fund. Before applying for a grant full-time undergraduate students must have taken out a student loan, if eligible, and applied for the full amount to which they are entitled. From 2005–6 applications to the Access to Learning Fund should be made through the Student Funding and International Office, forms will be available in college and at the Student Funding and International Office. Queries should be directed to or phone (2)80651/(2)70040.

Preceding page:

Next page: