Return to Contents Page of this issue
1. Ten or more members of Congregation may arrange to have a flysheet circulated with the University Gazette on matters before Congregation, or Convocation in regard to the election of the Professor of Poetry, or relating to matters of general interest to the University, subject to the following general conditions:
(1) no flysheet will be circulated which in the opinion of the Vice-Chancellor and Proctors might be defamatory or otherwise illegal;
(2) the right is reserved on behalf of the University and its employees, without prior consultation with the signatories, to publish an apology in respect of any statement in a flysheet which is complained of as defamatory or otherwise illegal (whether or not the statement can be shown to be true);
(3) the signatories shall jointly and individually indemnify the University and its employees against any costs or damages payable in respect of their flysheet and, unless a Queen's Counsel (to be mutually agreed on by the signatories and the University) advises within four months of the making of any claim in respect of a flysheet that any proceedings could be contested with the probability of success, such damages shall include any sum paid by the University in settlement of any claim arising out of the flysheet;
(4) the flysheet shall consist of one leaf only (though text may appear on both sides of the leaf), and the text shall include the name and college (or society, Permanent Private Hall, or other designated institution), faculty, or department of each of the signatories;
(5) a copy of the text of the flysheet shall be delivered to the Registrar before 10 a.m. on the Monday of the week in which circulation is desired; it shall be accompanied by an indemnity in accordance with condition (3) above drawn up on a form obtainable from the Registrar and signed by each of the signatories of the flysheet; the Registrar shall be informed at the same time which of the signatories is to be notified as to whether the Vice-Chancellor and Proctors have authorised circulation;
(6) the Registrar shall arrange for the production of copies of a flysheet the circulation of which has been duly authorised.
2. Though every effort will be made to circulate on the day desired flysheets so received, it must be understood that this cannot be guaranteed.
3. If the flysheet deals with a matter that is a formal item of business for Congregation, or for Convocation in regard to the election of the Professor of Poetry, or the subject of a report published in the University Gazette, the production costs will be met from university funds.
4. If the flysheet deals with a matter that is not a formal item of business for Congregation, or for Convocation in regard to the election of the Professor of Poetry, or the subject of a report published in the University Gazette, the Vice-Chancellor will decide whether it is of sufficient general interest to warrant circulation with the University Gazette; the production costs for such a flysheet will be the responsibility of the signatories.
5. The Executive and the Graduate Committee of the Oxford University Student Union may have flysheets circulated with the University Gazette under the arrangements and subject both to the conditions set out in rules 1--4 above, and to the following further conditions:
(1) number of names to be included on the flysheet under rule 1 (4) shall be not less than a majority of the total number of members of the Executive or the Graduate Committee of OUSU, as the case may be, and each of the persons named shall sign the indemnity required under rule 1 (3);
(2) the maximum number of flysheets to be circulated as of right, whether on matters before Congregation or Convocation (to be paid for by the University) or on matters of general interest to the University (to be paid for by OUSU and to be subject to the Vice-Chancellor's decision as prescribed in rule 1 above) shall be three per term for each of these bodies, but the Vice-Chancellor shall have discretion to permit further flysheets.
6. Subject to rule 5 (1) above, the Executive and the Graduate Committee of OUSU may also support flysheets signed by not fewer than ten members of Congregation.
Return to List of Contents of this section
Appointed by Professor S.D. Iversen (Chairman) Mr Vice-Chancellor  The President of Wolfson ex officio Professor A. Van Der Kogel Council Dr K. Fleming Council Professor C.B. Blakemore Medical Sciences Board Professor J.I. Bell Medical Sciences Board Professor T. Carr Medical Sciences Board Professor A. Venkitaraman Medical Sciences Board Dr C. Alcock ORHT Dr M. Francis Wolfson College Appointed by Mr Vice-Chancellor under the provisions of Sects. 10 and 11 of Statute IX (Supplement (1) to Gazette No. 4633, 9 October 2002, Vol. 133, p. 108).
Return to List of Contents of this section