Grants and Research Funding

Contents of this section:

[Note. An asterisk denotes a reference to a previously published or recurrent entry.]

Return to Contents Page of this issue


The Oxford University Research Services Office (RSO) is based in the University Offices, Wellington Square (with a satellite office in the Medical School Offices, Level 3, John Radcliffe Hospital). The RSO is part of the finance division of the University's central administration.

The office processes and approves all applications to outside bodies for research grants and approves research-related agreements on behalf of the University. It also acts in an advisory capacity for those seeking outside funding or requiring information about specific initiatives (e.g. LINK, ROPA, Teaching Company Schemes, EU research programmes, etc.).

The RCSO produces a weekly bulletin on funding opportunities, electronic Research and Industry News (eRIN), which is available to members of the University via the World Wide Web at:

Research contracts with industry are negotiated through the RSO, which also deals, inter alia, with various intellectual property matters, including other research-related agreements covering clinical trials and services, services to industry, confidentiality issues, material transfer and consultancy. Contact details for members of the RSO, from whom advice may be sought are as follows:

Dr Michael Halsey, Assistant Registrar---Senior Contracts Officer (telephone: (2)70011, e-mail:;

Dr Richard Liwicki, Assistant Registrar, John Radcliffe Hospital satellite office (telephone: 553 22604, e-mail:;

Mr Pierre-Manuel Espinasse, Research Grants and European Liaison Officer (telephone: (2)70043, e-mail:;

Ms Fiona Anderson, Contracts Officer (telephone: (2)70142, e-mail:;

Ms Kathryn Dally, Administrative Officer---Information (telephone: (2)80319, e-mail:

Enquiries relating to day-to-day processing of research grant applications should be addressed to the RSO's Research Grants Office, Room 330, the University Offices (telephone: (2)70146), or, in the case of certain clinical departments, to the RSO satellite office, the Medical School Offices, Level 3, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington (telephone: 553 22544).

General enquiries may be addressed, in the first instance, to Mrs Jane Taylor (telephone: (2)70143), who will be pleased to direct calls to the appropriate member of staff.

Return to List of Contents of this section

Administrative procedures in respect of externally sponsored research

Members of the University are reminded that it is a requirement of the General Board that all applications for externally funded support must be endorsed on behalf of the University through the Research and Commercial Services Office before they are dispatched to the sponsor, whether or not this is required by the funding body. (This includes, for example, bodies such as the Leverhulme Trust, and other charities and EU programmes which do not specifically ask for administrative authorisation.)

The reason for the requirement is twofold: namely (i) to ensure that the funds being requested are adequate for the purpose and the costing rules of the funding body have been applied correctly, and (ii) to ensure that the University would be in a position to undertake the obligations arising from an award and that these do not contravene University policy.

The detailed arrangements are as follows: applicants for research grants should submit their applications, together with a completed copy of the University's outside grant form (OG12), to Room 330, Research and Commercial Services Office, University Offices, Wellington Square, telephone (2)70146—leaving three clear working days for them to be processed.

In connection with the acceptance of awards and signature of contracts it should be noted that Statutes, Tit. X, cl. 2, provides that `no official of the University or any other person employed by the University or working in or in connection with any department of or under the control of the University shall in connection with any invention, discovery, or patent, or ... process, or manufacture have authority to make any representations on behalf of the University or to enter into any contract on behalf of the University or to be concerned in any transaction whatsoever in connection therewith on behalf of the University except with the express consent of Council'.

The relevant officials in the Research and Commercial Services Office have been given authority to approve applications for external funds in support of research and the terms of contracts in straightforward cases under this provision: in more complicated cases, specific authority is necessary.

Enquiries related to any aspect of externally sponsored research should be directed to the Research and Commercial Services Office, whose staff would be pleased to help.

Return to List of Contents of this section


The Arts and Humanities Research Board (AHRB) was established in July 1998 and has announced the launch of a round of awards for 1999–2000.

Researchers in all areas of the arts and humanities are now invited to apply for research grants and research leave awards, to be taken up in the academic years 1998--9 and 1999--2000, details of which are as follows:

(i) Research Grants

Grants of up to £100,000 a year, and for up to a period of five years are available. Provision will be made within these grants for the payment of institutional overheads, or indirect costs.

Return to List of Contents of this section

(ii) Small Research Grants in the Arts and Humanities

Grants of up to £5,000 are available to meet the direct costs of research projects in the arts and humanities, to include such items as travel, maintenance and consumables.

The AHRB's closing dates for receipt of applications under these schemes are:

—30 November 1998 for applications where projects will incur significant expenditure from April or May 1999.

—31 December 1998 for grants and awards to be taken up in the financial year 1999-2000.

University applications to the above schemes must be submitted, via the departmental administrator (or in the case of non-departmentally organised faculties, via the appropriate faculty board secretary), to the Research and Commercial Services Office.

Return to List of Contents of this section

(iii) Research leave

The AHRB will meet the full salary costs of successful applicants to the research leave scheme for one term.

Applications to the research leave scheme should be submitted through the college (for CUF and special non-CUF lecturers); or through the University (for other university academic staff). However, approval for all applications from academic staff holding joint appointments must be obtained from both the faculty board in question and the college before they are forwarded to the AHRB.

The AHRB's closing date for receipt of applications under the research leave scheme is 31 December 1998. Application forms and further details about the schemes above are available from the Research and Commercial Services Office, senior tutors (in the case of the research leave scheme), or from the appropriate faculty board secretaries. Alternatively, further information may be found on the AHRB's web site at, or by contacting the Chief Executive of the AHRB at: c/o 10 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5AH (telephone: 0171-969 5200).

Return to List of Contents of this section