Grants and Research Funding

Contents of this section:

[Note. An asterisk denotes a reference to a previously published or recurrent entry.]

Return to Contents Page of this issue


The Oxford University Research and Commercial Services Office (RCSO) is based in the University Offices, Wellington Square (with a satellite room at Room 9, Manor House, John Radcliffe Hospital). The RCSO is part of the University's central administration.

The office processes and approves all applications to outside bodies for research grants and approves research related agreements on behalf of the University. It also acts in an advisory capacity for those seeking outside funding or requiring information about specific initiatives (e.g. LINK, ROPA, Teaching Company Schemes, EU research programmes, etc.). The RCSO produces a weekly bulletin on funding opportunities, electronic Research and Industry News (eRIN), which is available to members of the University via the World Wide Web at:

Research contracts with industry are negotiated through the RCSO, which also deals, inter alia, with various intellectual property matters, research-related work covered by purchase orders, consultancy agreements, agreements covering clinical trials and services, and services to industry.

The Manager of the RCSO is Dr Roger Pritchett (telephone: (2)80499, e-mail:

Other members of the RCSO from whom advice may be sought are as follows:

Enquiries relating to day-to-day processing of research grant applications should be addressed to the RCSO's Research Grants Office, Room 330, the University Offices (telephone: (2)70146), or, in the case of certain clinical departments, to the RCSO satellite office, Room 9, Manor House, John Radcliffe Hospital (telephone: 553 22544).

General enquiries may be addressed, in the first instance, to the Director's Personal Assistant, Mrs Jane Taylor (telephone: (2)70143), who will be pleased to direct calls to the appropriate member of staff.

Return to List of Contents of this section


Two Henry Fellowships are expected to be available for the academic year 1998–9, one at Harvard University and one at Yale University. Candidates must be citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies, unmarried, and under the age of twenty-six on 1 January 1998. They must be either undergraduates at a UK university who have completed six terms on 1 January 1998 or graduates of a UK university who are in their first year of postgraduate study.

One or two Procter Fellowships are expected to be available at Princeton University tenable for the academic year 1998–9. The fellowships are open to candidates who are married or single, who have achieved first-class honours in the first degree at a UK university, and, normally, are in their second or third year of postgraduate research.

Application forms are available from the University Registry, The Old Schools, Cambridge CB2 1TN. Further details of the fellowships are available from the International Office (telephone: Oxford (2)70241).

Return to List of Contents of this section