- Visitors & Friends
- About the University
English language requirements
All teaching at Oxford University is carried out in English (with the exception of some language-specific teaching) and tutors must be convinced that you have sufficient fluency in written and spoken English to cope with your course from the start. Therefore, all non-native English-speaking applicants must satisfy one of the following requirements:
- IELTS: overall score of 7.0 (with at least 7.0 in each of the four components)
- TOEFL (paper-based): overall score of 600 with a Test of Written English score of 5.5
- TOEFL (internet-based): overall score of 110 with component scores of at least: Listening 22, Reading 24, Speaking 25, and Writing 24.
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): grade A
- Cambridge Certificate for Proficiency in English (CPE): grade B
- English Language GCSE, or O-level: grade B
- First Language English IGCSE: grade B (not English as a Second Language)
- International Baccalaureate Standard Level (SL): score of 5 in English (as Language A or B)
- European Baccalaureate: score of 70% in English.
Please note that, as they are educated and assessed in English, applicants following the Singapore Integrated Programme (SIPCAL) are not required to satisfy any of the above requirements.
If this is not achieved at the time of application it will form part of any conditional offer, and must be met by 31 July 2014. An exemption from this requirement will be considered for applicants who have been educated full-time in the medium of the English Language throughout the two most recent years before the 15 October application deadline, and who remain in full-time education conducted in the English language until the end of the school year in their home country.
Please note that all students who require a visa to study in the UK will need to meet the new UKBA requirement for English language proficiency that was introduced on 21 April 2011. Your college will discuss this with you when preparing your CAS number for your visa application, if your application to study here is successful.