Choosing where to go to university can be a life-changing decision and whilst this is exciting it can also be daunting. We hugely value the supporting role that teachers, parents, carers and careers advisors can play during this time. We aim to give you all the information you need to help your children and your students. We encourage you to explore our website widely and hope that you will find the resources below particularly useful. Our Teachers' e-guide offers comprehensive guidance on supporting Oxford candidates. Our Parents' and Carers' Guide gives an overview of our admissions process as well answering some of the most frequently asked questions, such as:
- How does a student know if Oxford might be the right choice for them?
- What welfare support is available?
- How do applicants choose a course?
- Do extra-curricular activities strengthen applications?
- How can I help?
It also aims to dispel some pervasive myths about this famous University and whether there really is a typical Oxford student!
Teachers and advisers
We recognise the key role that teachers and careers advisers play in encouraging students to consider their options and make informed decisions. We welcome the chance to talk with teachers and advisers about supporting your students through all aspects of considering, and applying to, Oxford. You will see below that we run many events for teachers, both in Oxford and in other parts of the UK.
Now that I am here, I realise how fortunate I was to have such a devoted and supportive teacher, who was urging me on all the way.
- Oxford and Cambridge: the similarities and differences
- Teachers' e-guide
- Teachers' e-newsletter
- ... more resources for teachers
- Regional Teachers' Conferences
- Oxford Maths and Science Teachers’ Conference
- Sutton Trust Teacher Summer School
- International Guidance Counsellors' Conference
- ... more events for teachers
- General outreach events (mostly for students only)
If you are a teacher in the UK and you wish to bring a group of students to Oxford, or if you would like to invite a speaker to visit your school, please contact your link college.
If you are overseas, we also have staff who visit other countries and can offer help online. Please see our international events' page.
Parents and carers
We hope our Parents' and Carers' Guide will help you feel equipped to support your son or daughter with their application. You are also very welcome to attend the main University open days, where there are specific events for parents and carers as well as other opportunities which are open to all.
You might also be interested in the following sections: