- Visitors & Friends
- About the University
About this site
This is the University of Oxford's main public facing website (OxWeb). It is managed and maintained by the University's Public Affairs Directorate.
Pages within this site will have addresses that look like this: www.ox.ac.uk, www.ox.ac.uk/directory/ or www.ox.ac.uk/page.html.
There are some important points to clarify that will explain why, as you browse through more of the site, its appearance and navigation are not consistent:
- Oxford is a collegiate University, there are 38 Colleges and 6 Permanent Private Halls. Each is independent and self-governing. Each runs and maintains its own website, each website will look different.
- There are four academic Divisions within the University and a fifth for Continuing Education, once more these are all self-governing and run and maintain their own websites.
- Under each Division are Faculties, Departments, Schools, Institutes, Foundations and Centres. Most run and maintain their own websites.
- All academic services, libraries, museums and collections run and maintain their own websites.
All these addresses will look like this: www.name.ox.ac.uk or just name.ox.ac.uk
- Pages that are primarily about University administration are managed by IT Services (formerly Business Services and Projects).
The addresses will look like this: www.admin.ox.ac.uk/name/
In total there are more than a thousand sites that together make up the University's overall web presence. This means that there will be neither visual nor organisational consistency but that there will be individuality, independence and ingenuity in abundance, characteristics that the University of Oxford is renowned for and has always encouraged.