- Visitors & Friends
- About the University
About the University
The University and the Colleges
The different roles of the University and Colleges have evolved over time.
Colleges and Halls
- Select and admit undergraduate students, and select graduate students after they are admitted by Oxford University.
- Provide accommodation, meals, common rooms, libraries, sports and social facilities, and pastoral care for their students.
- Are responsible for students' tutorial teaching and welfare.
- Determines the content of the courses within which college teaching takes place.
- Organises lectures and seminars.
- Provides a wide range of resources for teaching and learning in the form of libraries, laboratories, museums, computing facilities, etc.
- Admits and supervises graduate students, examines theses.
- Sets and marks examinations.
- Awards degrees.
Conference of Colleges
- Represents the common concerns of the colleges.
- Negotiates with central University bodies on collegiate matters.
- Appoints members of joint University/College committees.
- Has representation on Council, its committees, and the four Divisional Boards.
- Acts as a body for intercollegiate discussion and decision-making.